What mixes can we expect?

countrylivn

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
We have two Barred Rock hens sitting on an assortment of eggs (silkie, pekin, Rhode Island Red, Australorp, leghorn, barred rock, & Isa Brown). Dad is Barnevelder....or possibly some from speckled sussex (who we've just discovered is probably not the hen we originally thought!:rolleyes:)
Any ideas on what we might expect to see (colour wise) from this mishmash? Kids are very excited to see what hatches.

Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a fun chicken color calculator that has a tons of colors to play around with http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html double laced for barnevelder is last row #4 The White Leghorn chicks should all be white since they are usually dominant white. The Barnie X BRs should actually give you sex links also, the boys will be barred.

We have two Barred Rock hens sitting on an assortment of eggs (silkie, pekin, Rhode Island Red, Australorp, leghorn, barred rock, & Isa Brown). Dad is Barnevelder....or possibly some from speckled sussex (who we've just discovered is probably not the hen we originally thought!
roll.png
)
Any ideas on what we might expect to see (colour wise) from this mishmash? Kids are very excited to see what hatches.

It's impossible to say for sure with that mix, but you will likely get a lot of offspring with a lot of brown and black feathers in them, and if your Leghorn is a White Leghorn you will get some offspring that are primarily white, probably with a few black or brown flecks in them.

It's impossible to say for sure with that mix, but you will likely get a lot of offspring with a lot of brown and black feathers in them, and if your Leghorn is a White Leghorn you will get some offspring that are primarily white, probably with a few black or brown flecks in them.

P.S. I forgot to mention, you will also likely get some offspring with light barring in them.

Thanks. Should be interesting to see what we get then. Not even sure how many eggs, or which ones are under them. They are VERY cranky (protective) mothers! Last time I tried to look under them at night, one of them moved the entire clutch to a different place in the coop - the furthest and hardest corner to reach, lol. So guess we will just have to be patient and see :-D

Thanks. Should be interesting to see what we get then. Not even sure how many eggs, or which ones are under them. They are VERY cranky (protective) mothers! Last time I tried to look under them at night, one of them moved the entire clutch to a different place in the coop - the furthest and hardest corner to reach, lol. So guess we will just have to be patient and see :-D

You're welcome. Keep us posted as to what you end up with. Good luck on a good hatch. :eek:)

Pretty much all I can say is any mostly black chick that hatches with a white spot on the head will be a male from the barred Rock momma. Other than that, you're going to get a nice batch of surprises!

Back
Top Bottom