What Months Do They Start laying?

Mine started at the end of January, and I have an incubator hatch due in early March. But there is still snow on the ground here, so I have to grab those eggs from their nests FAST. At least the snow on the ground today should help me locate where they've moved their nest to yesterday..........

Quote:
Where are you located that they are laying already with snow on the ground?

I'm in northernmost California near Mt. Shasta. It really surprised me when they started laying so early! Temps during the night are still in the teens. But the eggs I managed to get before they had a chance to freeze are proceeding well in the 'bator. I may have the earliest hatch of keets on BYC! (Given that all continues to go well..........)

Quote:
We have almost 1/2 foot of snow here in Pennsylvania. One of mine is laying in the nest box....there's a novel concept.
wink.png
Wonder if she'll keep it up after the rest start playing the 'hide the nest' game?

My chickens have been laying for a little over a month now. The guineas and chickens were hatched within days of eachother so are about the same age. I have yet to see any Guinea eggs. We live in Oklahoma. The temps have been playing games from 70- 30 degrees and everything in between. When I go to collect the chicken eggs each afternoon they are cold. I don't see how ANYTHING could hatch with this wacky weather. The chickens all share a nest but I don't think any are sitters. After more reading on the forum though I am wondering if there isn't a secret stash of Guinea eggs behind the cabinit in the converted shed we use as their coop. I'll have to have my husband remove the perch so I can get back in there and see.

I was going to remove said cabinet but the chickens decided the bottom shelf was an awesome nest so I left it.

I've been seeing my guineas mating...does that mean they're laying somewhere?

With chickens, my roosters never mated my hens until after they layed their first egg, is it the same w/ guineas?

No they can mate early but not lay. The up side is, you can incubate as soon as you get eggs and have a good chance of getting keets. I got five eggs this noon and I didn't get an egg till April last year. (I am in west centeral Maryland) I have eggs in the bator due very early in April.

That's something anyway. I have a BYC'er that I have to hatch out some keets for, plus I want somemore myself.

I've noticed that my males have been fighting over the females alot in the last few days. I think most of them have already picked their mates, because I've noticed they kind of pair up every now and again.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom