~~~What Plants Will Chickens Not Eat?~~~

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
My mom wants to plant some shrubs/flowers in the backyard but last time the chickens ate them!!! (Mom-
barnie.gif
)(ME-
gig.gif
) So now my mom wants to plant again but told me to ask you guys what the chickens wont eat....there is plants they wont eat because we have one that they dont....so i need to know!!!!
tea.gif

-Thanks, Justino
big_smile.png

One thing I cannot vouch for is whether the plants would be harmful if they DID eat them. But, the hens have left the herb garden in my yard alone. It could also be that they don't like its location since it is near the neighbor's big dog on the other side of the fence. The mints are farther from the dog but are still not damaged. There are lots of ornamentals in the mint family.

Take a look at this and scroll down to what was posted by AmandaAlna and gisellesgarden.

Steve

I can't say for sure what plants they won't eat but I do know they always go after the ones that cost the most! The other problem is that, while they may not eat the plants, they can still kill them by digging the darn things up. I am still working on a way to keep the chickens out of my beds in a way that still looks good.

Richard

To answer this in a nutshell:
A chicken will not eat anything that we wont eat!
They only eat stuff that we want, except for our favourite flowers, which they like but we dont, at least not on a fork!

Good luck, that is why my favourites have to be in hanging baskets or up high in planter boxes where they cant get to them and the vegie patch has to be fenced off.
Im sorry i dont know exactly which flowers they dont like cause im too afraid to place them within their reach.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom