What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Haha, nope, no leg pulling here.
tongue.png
His mama was some sort of Flemish mix, but I do remember her having a sister with one loppy ear. He still picks up his left one at times but for the most part it stays down. (I'm guessing his grandpa was an English lop) His dad was a small ruby eyed white rabbit that was supposed to be a New Zealand but never reached size standard. So I dunno, he could have any number of different breeds in him. All of his brothers and sisters had normal fur and big but straight up ears.
hu.gif
He did have one sibling early on that looked like it might have the same fur but it passed away a few days after being born.
hmm.png

He just seems to have inherited two different recessive genes at one time. Very cool :D But now I am wondering what to do with him. Do I sell him, or do I try to purchase a Velveteen lop girly and start my own line.
hu.gif
(that would be fun
big_smile.png
)

That would be a lot of fun!

Here is another pic of him/her

He/she is definitely some sort of mini rabbit mix. I don't have much experience in mini breeds so I'm pretty useless
lol.png
BUT I would say after looking at photos on the internet that he/she doesn't look as racy a britannia petite, not as petite as a Netherland, and now that I've seen him up and about not as compact as a polish. He shares absolutely no characteristics of a wild cotton tail, although that would be really fun. You would know, trust me.
smile.png

He looks like a standard rabbit but in miniature. So he is more than likely a mix. A very adorable and finely put together mix. If I were to guess a mix I would mini rex and one of the dwarf breeds.
smile.png

He/she is definitely some sort of mini rabbit mix. I don't have much experience in mini breeds so I'm pretty useless
lol.png
BUT I would say after looking at photos on the internet that he/she doesn't look as racy a britannia petite, not as petite as a Netherland, and now that I've seen him up and about not as compact as a polish. He shares absolutely no characteristics of a wild cotton tail, although that would be really fun. You would know, trust me.
smile.png

He looks like a standard rabbit but in miniature. So he is more than likely a mix. A very adorable and finely put together mix. If I were to guess a mix I would mini rex and one of the dwarf breeds.
smile.png

Thanks!!

Hi, Guys. Talking about hot weather, I wanted to send you some fotos from my house. I started out last year for the chickens and now do this for the bunnies, too.

Last year I put pipe cleaners on the necks of a bunch of water bottles and twisted them to make a secure loop. They are all in one spot, since last year in my freezer.

Then I used curtin hooks (I had a bunch of them just lying around) to just slide on the hardware cloth in the coops/hutches so that the hook part was pointing up.

So, all I do is slip on a fresh frozen bottle and slip off the melted one and rotate back to the freezer. I'm not sure how it could be easier. These bottles, hooks and pipe cleaner loops are on their second year and seem as good as new. And, the bottles rarely get dirty because they're just hanging there, not lying in the cage.

Do any of you guys take your rabbits to the vets yearly? I keep seeing this, but really don't want to do it, lol what about neutering?? Is it necessary? Also, what has been your average life span for an indoor or outdoor rabbit? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do my best for my new rabbit =) Thanks for all the help!!!

Yearly check ups are for people who are into The House Rabbit Society's way of raising rabbits, IMO. I adore my rabbits, but I'm not going to spend $50 dollars a year per rabbit (It would be way over $1000) to have them checked out by a vet with a elementary knowledge of rabbit care. There is a clinic near me that sounds very well educated about rabbits, but their fee to just get your rabbit in the door is over $100. I do my best to learn about signs of illness and disease so I can diagnose them myself. I also try to check my rabbits over often, so I can catch things in the beginning stages. I have taken a rabbit to the vet before, he broke his hock. For things like that, I see a vet, but for yearly check ups, no, not even my dogs and cats get those. Also, I don't make enough money from my rabbits to pay for some expensive procedure if they needed it. So, going to a vet to have him tell me my only options are to put the rabbit down or spend thousands of dollars, is a waste of money IMO, I can figure that out on my own. Now, if you only have one rabbit and you have the money to do a yearly, then go for it, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

Whether neutering your rabbit is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. There is a chance your rabbit can develop testicular cancer if you don't. There's also a chance that your rabbit won't survive the surgery, I just spoke with someone whose rabbit didn't. It does stop some male rabbits from spraying. Also, it sometimes calms males down. You don't have to worry about mixing genders if you get another rabbit. Two male rabbits have a better chance of getting along if their neutered. It makes your rabbit fat and lazy (my experience), you determine whether that's a pro or con. Those are the pros and cons I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more.

The average lifespan of a rabbit whose well cared for is 8-12 years. I haven't lost a rabbit from old age yet. I still have my very first rabbit, she's about 10 years old now and still goin' strong.

About vets. I took my mother rabbit to a vet little over 2 weeks ago because her ears looked really bad and beyond me just cleaning them. After spending $150 they assured me she wasn't pregnant and was going to order the medicine for her ears. The next day she had her litter. I never got the medicine. Yesterday I took her to LSU Veterinary Clinic. The vet was super knowledgable. He treated her on the spot and said she would probably be clear in a week. (the other vet said it would take months) Today (one day later) her ears are so much better. Also, the LSU vet school clinic only charged me $70.

Here's a foto of the baby. She was 2 weeks 3 days when this foto was taken (today). I think she is small, but it may be normal for such a young age. I can easily hold her in one hand (when she is still enough). Is this small for 2 weeks, 3 days of age????

I can still hold my 3 week old in my hand, but she is a dwarf, can't remember what breed yours is.
She looks fine to me, normal size, I wouldn't be concerned.

Primrose, What a cute rabbit!!!! crazy experience you had, she looks totally normal and happy for her age ...Poultry power I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Back
Top Bottom