What recipes do you like that use a lot of eggs???

got an OLD book called eggs and cheese at library for $1.00. check out this recipe from 1733:

Eggs glaz'd with Cucumbers

Eggs may be prepared in the same way with chicory, lettuce, celery, asparagus tips, peas or artichoke bottoms.
To serve 4-8

8 eggs
6 small cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and sliced
salt and pepper
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup veal or chicken stock
grated nutmeg

Marinate the cucumbers with salt, pepper, the onions, vinegar and water for about 2 hours. Drain the cucumbers thoroughly and dry them in a cloth. Put them in a pan with 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of the butter, and fry them until they are lightly colored. Sprinkle them with flour and wet them with the stock. Simmer them for 5 minutes, skim the sauce and taste for seasoning.
Arrange this ragout in a large shallow ovenproof dish. Break your eggs at equal distances among the cucumbers, and season the top of each egg with a little salt and nutmeg. Place the dish in a preheated oven 425 F for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are just set. When your eggs are done and not hard, serve hot.

Here's one I tried and like:

Cheese and Mint Omelet:
Original recipe calls for brocciu, a Corsican fresh sheep's-milk cheese, known as brousse in mainland France. Not available in USA, substitute Tallegio cheese.

To serve 2:

4 eggs beaten
5 oz Tallegio cheese, mashed to a paste with a fork
3-4 fresh mint leaves, cut into quarters
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. butter or oil

Mix cheese, mint, salt, and pepper well into the eggs. Heat the butter or oil in omelet pan, pour in the egg mixture and cook about 1 minute or until omelet is just set. Roll it as you slide it from the pan.

I substitute all kinds of cheese though and generally mix everything but add the cheese into the middle once it's all in the pan. My cheese isn't as soft as the recommended French cheese so I grated it on top of the mix in the pan. You can't taste the mint, but it highlights the other ingredients so be careful to not add much salt, it really brings out the salt and pepper flavor. We had a lot of mint on the farm and really liked this recipe.

Bon Apetite

Our favorite is a frittata, which we saw prepared on the Two Fat Ladies cooking show:

Ingredients:
6 medium onions, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces plum tomatoes, peeled
Salt
Black pepper, freshly ground
6 eggs
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Handful fresh basil
2 ounces butter

Sweat the onions in the oil until just browning. Chop the tomatoes and add to the onions with salt to taste. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press the vegetables to the side of the pan and remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Leave to cool. Beat the eggs until well mixed but not frothy. Add the vegetables, cheese, a good quantity of pepper and salt to taste. Tear up the basil leaves, add and stir everything together. Melt the butter in a 12 inch nonstick frying ban until just foaming. Pour in the egg mixture, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes until the eggs are set but the top is still a bit runny. Then put the pan under the broiler for 30 seconds. Loosen the frittata with a pliable spatula and slide onto a suitable dish. Cut into wedges when cooled. It can be eaten warm with a salad or cold on a hunk of bread.

my grandmother use to freeze her extra eggs when the hens slowed in laying she would have reserve. she would put them in small square freezer boxes i think they were 1/2 pints, you can cook with them just fine. she would also use them for scrambled eggs after they thawed
you can make homemade noodles and dry them out to use later. or make home made pasta using a pasta machine ive found them better than store boughten.

I think we live off of egg salad around here. Why buy lunch meat?

Cause a slice of lunch meat in an egg salad sandwich is AWESOME!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I like to make a homemade angel food cake, then take the yolks and make lemon pie filling. Cut the top off the cake and scoop out the middle. Fill the cake with the lemon filling and place the top back on. Frost with whipped cream. It makes a fabulous, light cake.

Good thread. One of my egg customers buys 10-dozen eggs a week from me. Carmen was born in Mexico but lived most of her life in Japan. I don't have her recipe yet (she says it requires 10 eggs), but here's one I found on the Net and tried in our house.

Japanese sponge cake

Ingredients

• 6.7 oz bread flour
• 5 eggs
• 10 oz beet sugar (your favorite sugar)
• 5 Teaspoons milk
• 4 Teaspoons canola oil
• 3 Teaspoons honey (I used organic honey provided by Carmen's husband--and, yes, I trade eggs for quality honey)

Preparation

1. Sift flour
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F .
3. Place parchment paper in two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans or one 8 inch square pan
4. Grease the parchment. Butter, of course

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, whisk egg and half amount of sugar until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
2. Add rest of sugar and mix.
3. Add ingredients and flour and whisk mixture.
4. Pour batter into pans. Tap gently on the counter to flatten the batter and remove air bubbles.
5. Bake on middle rack of oven 50 minutes or until golden brown.
6. When done, wrap with plastic and leave at room temperature until cooled down.
7. Store in airtight container and keep refrigerated (or at room temperature) about 1 day.

Note -- Tastes better 1 day later.

Back
Top Bottom