What rooster do you keep for colourful eggs?

Kikilu

Songster
Dec 11, 2022
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
I’m hatching out copper marans, wheaten marans, welsummer, Ameraucana and Easter eggers among others (just not as colourful eggs)
Trying to decide what breed of rooster makes most sense to keep for colourful egg layers down the road. I can likely only keep one at this time. I think keeping an Ameraucana makes most sense but what do you do? Interested in others reasoning!

I ordered 16 day old chicks last April for an August 28th hatch date. 10 different breeds. Like you, I could only have 1 rooster. And like you, I wanted to hatch out colorful egg layers. So i ordered 15 female, 1 male. The 1 male I decided on, was my Blue (BBS) Ameraucana. I have a matching hen as well. So I'll be able to hatch out 3 different colors of Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers with my Black Copper Marans, and various Easter Eggers with the rest of the flock. That was my thinking anyway.

I’m hatching out copper marans, wheaten marans, welsummer, Ameraucana and Easter eggers among others (just not as colourful eggs)
Trying to decide what breed of rooster makes most sense to keep for colourful egg layers down the road. I can likely only keep one at this time. I think keeping an Ameraucana makes most sense but what do you do? Interested in others reasoning!
Welsummer.
Black Copper Marans.

Not an Easter Egger.

I ordered 16 day old chicks last April for an August 28th hatch date. 10 different breeds. Like you, I could only have 1 rooster. And like you, I wanted to hatch out colorful egg layers. So i ordered 15 female, 1 male. The 1 male I decided on, was my Blue (BBS) Ameraucana. I have a matching hen as well. So I'll be able to hatch out 3 different colors of Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers with my Black Copper Marans, and various Easter Eggers with the rest of the flock. That was my thinking anyway.
Oh I like that idea with the bbs to maximize Color’s too. I only hatched out wheaten Ameraucana. More to think about :)

Here's my flock.

Attachments

• 20221220_074206.jpg
    20221220_074206.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 8
Ameraucana. 2 copies of the blue egg gene mean all his offspring will inherit 1 copy.
With an Easter Egger or Olive Egger it's hit or miss since the parent only has 1 copy.
With brown layers you can get green eggs.
With blue and white layers you'll get blue eggs.

I have limited amount of breeding pens. I have a blue and a splash Ameraucana rooster in one pen and a black copper maran rooster in the other coop. I have mixed feelings about the ameraucanas because they were super, super slow to start laying….but I chose them over Easter Eggers because they lay a blue egg and are a recognized breed with a standard of perfection. If I’m going to breed, even if mostly for myself, I may as well work toward a goal. With the marans and the ameraucanas, I can also have olive Eggers without altering my current space.

Back
Top Bottom