What"s in your Potato salad?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NYboy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I love homemade potato salad. This weekend I went to a BBQ at a friends, who grew up in Brazil. she made potato salad with corn and baby shrimp. wow was it good.What special ingredient do you add to potato salad?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    the vinegar from the Jalepeno jar!

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    LOts and lots of eggs.... And both kinds of relish, both sweet and dill... [​IMG] oh and olives.. (regular potato salad)

...sour cream, (baked potatoes) and bacon onions or chives....... SLURP!!! (baked potato salad)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We like lots of eggs, sweet pickle relish, garlic salt, celery seed, mayo, a dash of mustard and a splash of vinegar to give it some zing.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Celery, onion, sweet pickle relish a tiny bit of brown mustard and ranch dressing. No EGG ever, I hate eggs. : )

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Juice from the pepperoncini jar.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    A sprinkle of dill weed on top... mmmmm

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Wow. This is so timely. I have friends coming over to help me drywall on Saturday and just came home with stuff for potato salad...potatoes (of course), eggs from my girls (of course), sweet pickles and juice, sweet onion, mayo, dijon mustard, salt, course pepper, paprika...pretty basic stuff. I just know I'm going to find something in this thread now that sends me back to the store! [​IMG]

9. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Man I KNEW you were cool Ken. LOL

I make 4 kinds of potato salad, a german, a "sicilian", and american (with NO eggs) and a "potato salad" with green beans and crisp bacon.

The german cooked and then cube red potatoes, fine diced celery and scallions. I saute the bacon and then make my dressing in the fry pan: bacon grease, vinegar, sugar, a dash of red pepper flake. Simmer about 3 minutes and then pour over the potatoes, Garnish with the broken up bacon and some fresh parsley.

My Sicilian: cooked red potatoes, drained and then sliced. Season with S&P, lemon juice, about 2 TBLS minced garlic, some red pepper flake and about a cup of diced parsley. Garnish with some EVO and toss. Taste and adjust as you prefer.

American potato salad: red or yukon golds boiled and drained. Cut in large slices, add a dressing of homemade mayo, spicy mustard, sweet pickle relish, sliced scallions, fine dice celery, parsley and some vinegar until it's wet like I like it. SO GOOD

The green bean potato salad. Red potatoes boiled and drained, sliced. Saute up some bacon and make a German Style dressing in the bacon pan, blanch about a pound of green beans and toss all that together. Very nice. You can add about a pint of halved cherry or grape tomatoes to extend it a bit.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    bigmike&nan :

Quote:Man I KNEW you were cool Ken. LOL

I make 4 kinds of potato salad, a german, a "sicilian", and american (with NO eggs) and a "potato salad" with green beans and crisp bacon.

The german cooked and then cube red potatoes, fine diced celery and scallions. I saute the bacon and then make my dressing in the fry pan: bacon grease, vinegar, sugar, a dash of red pepper flake. Simmer about 3 minutes and then pour over the potatoes, Garnish with the broken up bacon and some fresh parsley.

My Sicilian: cooked red potatoes, drained and then sliced. Season with S&P, lemon juice, about 2 TBLS minced garlic, some red pepper flake and about a cup of diced parsley. Garnish with some EVO and toss. Taste and adjust as you prefer.

American potato salad: red or yukon golds boiled and drained. Cut in large slices, add a dressing of homemade mayo, spicy mustard, sweet pickle relish, sliced scallions, fine dice celery, parsley and some vinegar until it's wet like I like it. SO GOOD

The green bean potato salad. Red potatoes boiled and drained, sliced. Saute up some bacon and make a German Style dressing in the bacon pan, blanch about a pound of green beans and toss all that together. Very nice. You can add about a pint of halved cherry or grape tomatoes to extend it a bit.

That's the way I used to make German potato salad for my husband.

I try different things depending on where it's going so not in any order or always used to my basic potatoe salad

Eggs

Radishes

Black Olives

Shrimp

Crab

ohhhh.....so many things.

If they want a spicy salad I add a little horseradish to the dressing​

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by