What should I feed my Mandarin ducks?

I use all flock,sometimes i mix with scratch grains.Mealworms will work better than mazuri.My ducks follow me around pens waiting for it.Mandarins and wood ducks are a little more wild than some of the others but still let me get somewhat close.All but divers get spooky when i have a net but its shipping time so it will end soon!
My ducks will eat mealworms but aren't crazy for them. The Hoodeds get shiners sometimes for them to hunt. I never really found a treat they are addicted to and follow me for it. My Khaki Campbells however peas are like crack to them.

Last edited:
Hello! I’m getting a pair of mandarins this week, I’m super excited as this has been a goal of mine for a couple years l. I’ve done some research, I’ve seen people use all flock, which is what I use for my ducks and chickens, and incorporate other bird seed and mealworms. I also heard Mazuri has good feed for exotic waterfowl. If anyone knows any brand that’s good, that you could find at your local feed store it’d be great if you could tell me the brand. Thank you in advance! I’ve also posted this to the duck forum.
You're going to love them, they're awesome!
I got my pair from @Ram13 and they're doing great.
I feed all of my ducks Purina Flock raiser crumbles and Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance.
They have the Flock raiser all the time, but the Mazuri is their treat. I give it mornings and evenings. They will follow me all over for it, lol. All 18 of my ducks will eat it out of my hand. And they absolutely love eating it out of the water! It's so fun to watch too.
I do also give mealworms on occasion.
I can't speak for breeding season yet as this will technically be my first year breeding them, but I'll probably get a bag of Mazuri breeder and give that in addition to the FR. I just really like the Mazuri, and if used sparingly it's not too expensive, especially if you'll only have one pair or a handful of birds.
You have to order it though. It's been pretty backed up, but the lady who runs our local pet supply store has been driving to a Mazuri plant to pick it up. She just picks mine up for me.

I use all flock,sometimes i mix with scratch grains.Mealworms will work better than mazuri.My ducks follow me around pens waiting for it.Mandarins and wood ducks are a little more wild than some of the others but still let me get somewhat close.All but divers get spooky when i have a net but its shipping time so it will end soon!
I just picked them up! They’re so gorgeous. The guy who sold me them, said he just gives the scratch grains when they’re not laying. When they are to give them layer feed. That’s great that mealworms are better, I didn’t really want to spend $50 on a bag 😂 he did also mention these ducks are WILD. Hopefully with the mealworms I can bring them to be a little better. Thank you so much for telling me that.

You're going to love them, they're awesome!
I got my pair from @Ram13 and they're doing great.
I feed all of my ducks Purina Flock raiser crumbles and Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance.
They have the Flock raiser all the time, but the Mazuri is their treat. I give it mornings and evenings. They will follow me all over for it, lol. All 18 of my ducks will eat it out of my hand. And they absolutely love eating it out of the water! It's so fun to watch too.
I do also give mealworms on occasion.
I can't speak for breeding season yet as this will technically be my first year breeding them, but I'll probably get a bag of Mazuri breeder and give that in addition to the FR. I just really like the Mazuri, and if used sparingly it's not too expensive, especially if you'll only have one pair or a handful of birds.
You have to order it though. It's been pretty backed up, but the lady who runs our local pet supply store has been driving to a Mazuri plant to pick it up. She just picks mine up for me.
Oh awesome, thank you for telling me this. I just picked them up an hour ago, these birds are absolutely gorgeous. I’ve wanted some for a couple years, this is quite literally a dream come true 😂 the guy I bought them from said he just fed them scratch grains, and then laying feed in the breeding season. He did say he’s heard other people use Mazuri. I will probably just get scratch grains, I might mix it with a bit of all flock. He told me specifically though to not feed them much when they aren’t breeding and laying, because if they are too big/fat they won’t reproduce well. I’ll do a bit more research, but mealworms and scratch is probably what I will do till I know a bit more. Thank you so much for telling me that though! These birds are GORGEOUS and I got an amazing deal for how gorgeous these things are. Thank you again!

Hello! I’m getting a pair of mandarins this week, I’m super excited as this has been a goal of mine for a couple years l. I’ve done some research, I’ve seen people use all flock, which is what I use for my ducks and chickens, and incorporate other bird seed and mealworms. I also heard Mazuri has good feed for exotic waterfowl. If anyone knows any brand that’s good, that you could find at your local feed store it’d be great if you could tell me the brand. Thank you in advance! I’ve also posted this to the duck forum.
We have 10 mated pairs and we feed them a special mix made at a local feed mill. Black sunflower, cracked corn, wheat, oats, and I add Kalmbach flock maintainer. With ducks you need a higher Niacin % than you do with other birds. We live in Northeast and they have a complete aviary with a pond and hut to get into in bad weather.
Enjoy you new birds. They are a joy to raise.

No problem. And I'm no expert, so I may be wrong. But good luck!
I have golden pheasants and manderin ducks in same aviary 10 x 3 m and feed them sunflower seeds mix grain and a little scrabbled egg to boost protein my peacocks get same and a little more scrammbled eggs. We have x lot of chickens!
Peter Spain

I have golden pheasants and manderin ducks in same aviary 10 x 3 m and feed them sunflower seeds mix grain and a little scrabbled egg to boost protein my peacocks get same and a little more scrammbled eggs. We have x lot of chickens!
Peter Spain
Welcome to BYC!
You don't have any commercial waterfowl feed in Spain, do you? That would really be best for Mandarin ducks. They don't do well on just seeds and eggs.

Welcome to BYC!
You don't have any commercial waterfowl feed in Spain, do you? That would really be best for Mandarin ducks. They don't do well on just seeds and eggs.
They seem to do really well, they have now produced 5 eggs and just waiting for the hen to sit. What is in the waterfowl feed that is so different? Most feeds are just named to put the price up? Of there is anything specific please letvme know. FYI I also add sunflower seeds to boost the mix. Peter

Back
Top Bottom