What should I serve on Christmas Eve?

Quote:
Yes....pickle platter with some olives maybe? My kids LOVE em!

Stuffed mushrooms..what a GREAT idea! Thank you!

Deviled eggs...yes...plan on doing them...forgot in original post.

Scallions warpped in cream cheese and ham or turkey? Don't think I have ever had that!

Thanks so much everyone. I knew I could count on my BYC family!

You just get green onions and take a piece of ham - like lunchmeat ham, and warm some cream cheese so it will spread, and spread it onto the ham and then wrap it around the onion.

My nephew-in-law makes it with turkey - because he's a freak, but Ham is best.

These are to DIE for.

meri

eta - this is what they look like --

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...?q=green+onion+wrapped+in+ham&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

click on Pam's Hammy Onion

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Those are good!...
tongue.png

sweet and sour kielbasa or meatballs.....for the kielbasa..you bake the kielbasa..just till heated through(baking beforehand is important..otherwise its to greasy..)...then silce it...throw it in a crock pot...add 1 jar marachino cherries(add some of the juice to the crockpot), 1 can pineapple chunks(add some of the juice to the crockpot), 1 jar chili sauce, 1 small/medium jar grape jelly....cook on low/medium for a few hours...it really IS good..try it!......and for the meatballs...you add the meatballs to a crockpot..add 1 can cranberry sauce(the kind you use at thanksgiving), and 1 jar chili sauce...cook for a few hours till the sauce thickens and coats the meat well for BOTH recipes. Trust me they taste better than they sound..
tongue.png

I am thinking that if you intend this to be more of a party than a Christmas Eve Dinner, that you should be certian to tell all your guests that this is more of a party than a dinner.

In that way, people won't come over starving and clean out all your appetizers, leaving you scrambling off to the store.

If you want to make one dish that is cheap and will 'fill the kids' just in case, make a huge dish (9x13) of mac-n-cheese. Even if you have to buy kraft and make many little boxes in a huge pot.

You could also cut up wienies and serve them in a pan on the side. Can't get much more cheap than that. And anyone who missed dinner can still get fed.

Not so fancy but very kid friendly.

We always have Chili and cornbread for Christmas Eve. It's yummy and doesn't require anyone to have to stay in the kitchen for too long. My Mom just starts the crockpots (one for the omnivores and one for us veggies) in the morning and that's it.

Guests know it is just a "snack" time...not dinner. I have done this for several years, but not as many people. Usually is just 6 or 7 and I am comfortable with that..but it is doubled this year.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Relish trays w/ dressings, crackers and cheeses, slushies, H20. Keep it simple.

(Some folks have their Christmas repast on Christmas Eve and just snak on leftovers on Christmas Day)

Back
Top Bottom