What Size Enclosure For Wild Duck Breeds?

back123yard1470

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2021
I tried posting this on the Ducks category but then they said to trie here so,
I had some questions on different species of ducks and what size pen they need.

1. Perching Ducks (Not Mandarins and NA Wood Duck) (Comb Duck, Pink Eared Duck, Hartlaub's Duck, White-Winged duck, Maned Duck)

2. Teals (Ringed Teal, Green-Winged Teal, Blue-Winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, etc ...)

3. Shovelers (Cape, Red, NA Northern, Australian)

4. Marbled Duck

5. Pochard (Common, Rosy-Billed, Baer's, Red-Crested, Madagascar, Canvasback)

6. Scaups (Lesser, Greater, New Zealand, Ferguiness Duck, Hardhead, Redhead)

7. Sea Ducks (Harlequin Duck, Smew, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead)

8. Mergansers (Scaly-Sided, Hooded, Common, Red-Breasted)

9. Goldeneyes (Common, Barrows)

10. Knob-Billed Duck

11. Wigeons (Chiloe, Eurasian, American)

12. Eider (Common, King, Spectacled)

13. Pintails (Northern, Bahama, Yellow-Billed, Red-Billed)

14. Common Scoter

15. Steamer ducks (Flying, Fluegian)

16. Whistling duck (White-Faced, Fulvous, Black-Bellied, etc...)

17. Shelduck (Paradise, Radjah, Common, Ruddy, Australian, South African)

18. Dabbling Ducks (Mallard, Philippine Duck, Hawaiin Duck, Eastern Spot-Billed, African Black Duck, Baikal, Garganey, Falcated, etc...)

19. Egyptian Goose

20. Torrent Duck (This is rarely kept in captivity but if anyone has size pen for them and or keeps them please comment.)

21. And last but not least Bronze-winged Duck

All info provided will be directed to a care guide that I am making.

I tried posting this on the Ducks category but then they said to trie here so,
I had some questions on different species of ducks and what size pen they need.

1. Perching Ducks (Not Mandarins and NA Wood Duck) (Comb Duck, Pink Eared Duck, Hartlaub's Duck, White-Winged duck, Maned Duck)

2. Teals (Ringed Teal, Green-Winged Teal, Blue-Winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, etc ...)

3. Shovelers (Cape, Red, NA Northern, Australian)

4. Marbled Duck

5. Pochard (Common, Rosy-Billed, Baer's, Red-Crested, Madagascar, Canvasback)

6. Scaups (Lesser, Greater, New Zealand, Ferguiness Duck, Hardhead, Redhead)

7. Sea Ducks (Harlequin Duck, Smew, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead)

8. Mergansers (Scaly-Sided, Hooded, Common, Red-Breasted)

9. Goldeneyes (Common, Barrows)

10. Knob-Billed Duck

11. Wigeons (Chiloe, Eurasian, American)

12. Eider (Common, King, Spectacled)

13. Pintails (Northern, Bahama, Yellow-Billed, Red-Billed)

14. Common Scoter

15. Steamer ducks (Flying, Fluegian)

16. Whistling duck (White-Faced, Fulvous, Black-Bellied, etc...)

17. Shelduck (Paradise, Radjah, Common, Ruddy, Australian, South African)

18. Dabbling Ducks (Mallard, Philippine Duck, Hawaiin Duck, Eastern Spot-Billed, African Black Duck, Baikal, Garganey, Falcated, etc...)

19. Egyptian Goose

20. Torrent Duck (This is rarely kept in captivity but if anyone has size pen for them and or keeps them please comment.)

21. And last but not least Bronze-winged Duck

All info provided will be directed to a care guide that I am making.
Bigger the better. That being said I have Green wing teal, Cinnamon teal, Wood ducks, Mandarins, Ring teal Hooded mergansers and Buffleheads together in the same aviary at the moment. All these ducks perch at least once in a while. My aviary is 25x36 I do need more room and am building another aviary.

Hey Wild Wings! How’s that aviary coming? I cant wait to see how it comes out and to see your venture into divers!

PS - let me know if you ever get Long tailed ducks lol

Im also in CT, and I’d love to get some ducks from you but Im still in school, and thus itll have to wait a while

Hey Wild Wings! How’s that aviary coming? I cant wait to see how it comes out and to see your venture into divers!

PS - let me know if you ever get Long tailed ducks lol

Im also in CT, and I’d love to get some ducks from you but Im still in school, and thus itll have to wait a while
It's slowly getting there I'm going to try to get the door done this weekend. Right now my Khaki Campbells use the pool. Old Squaws would be a dream duck but with my water situation it wouldn't work. They require a lot of clean water preferably moving. They are hard to find and expensive. Not to mention in the wild they are loud and that might cause issues with my neighbors I don't know if they are loud in captivity though.
Keeping ducks can be expensive to start but once set up it's mostly food water. My first aviary was about $2000 the new one will be about $3500 and they are about the same size. If I built it from wood it would be much cheaper but wood doesn't last as long and if I move these pens can be disassembled and brought with me. Not to mention my yard has a ton of rock so digging post holes is a pain.

I feel you on the rocky yard. Seems like that’s half the soil around here lol. I never knew that long tails were loud! In part its probably because I only ever see them in winter when they’re not courting as much anyways.
I know that the aviary is going to be back-breaking expensive, but one day Ill get a few long tails. They’re just so beautiful and unique.

PS: good luck with the rest of the aviary! I loved that video of the khakis casually strolling in with the goose lol

I feel you on the rocky yard. Seems like that’s half the soil around here lol. I never knew that long tails were loud! In part its probably because I only ever see them in winter when they’re not courting as much anyways.
I know that the aviary is going to be back-breaking expensive, but one day Ill get a few long tails. They’re just so beautiful and unique.

PS: good luck with the rest of the aviary! I loved that video of the khakis casually strolling in with the goose lol
I don't know how loud they are in captivity but at the ocean I can hear them from great distances.

Back
Top Bottom