What snake type is this?

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
I saw this snake going into the coop! What a scare! None of the chickens seemed scared nor seemed to notice it. Here is the snake. What type of snake is it?

Attachments

• D2C48643-117B-420C-8C3B-0C444EF24731.jpeg
    D2C48643-117B-420C-8C3B-0C444EF24731.jpeg
    655.7 KB · Views: 34
He was worried it would come back...eat the chickens... also we aren’t experts so I did not know it was non venomous
I'm with you there! I don't know much about snakes, but if you ever need any help identifying them, I have a friend who will super happily do that! She will also relocate snakes if you are in central VA 😊

He was worried it would come back...eat the chickens... also we aren’t experts so I did not know it was non venomous

You might want to familiarize yourself with the snakes in your area so that you'll know the difference in the future. That's a colubrid, definitely not venomous, and good for helping to keep the rodent population down. :)

You might want to familiarize yourself with the snakes in your area so that you'll know the difference in the future. That's a colubrid, definitely not venomous, and good for helping to keep the rodent population down. :)
Don't believe I've seen anyone use proper terminology here. About had an aneurysm when I saw colubrid. :yesss:

If you are in California it is most likely a young Pacific Gopher Snake (Pituophis catenifer catenifer). I had a pet one when I was a kid and "Glum" got huge, around 6 feet, and was very tame. My mom would take him to her kindergarten class along with my California Coastal King Snake "Siegfried" to teach her students about how beneficial snakes can be, and how they don't have to be afraid of them.

Back
Top Bottom