What Someone Told Me About A PitBull

Quote:
Unfortuately this is exactly what happens. My friend, a cop, told me " The breed of dog is the breed the victim says it is" Regardless of what breed it actually is.

Quote:
You mean the woman that I was talking to? She didn't lie. Sadly, she just believes that an aggressive dog has to be a pit bull. Of course, she is wrong but that is her perception.

Well, in the original post you said she lied and sold her another mix breed than a pit mix.

Quote:
Well, it this case it wasn't a stereotype, but a real event.

Oh, now I understand you.

The woman had no way of knowing if her dogs were pit mixes. She assumed because they became aggressive, not because she had any test done on them. Apparently, they looked enough like what ever she originally thought that they were to take them home.

It was based on the dogs' aggression that she thought that they were pitbull mixes not on any other clue.

Quote:
You mean the woman that I was talking to? She didn't lie. Sadly, she just believes that an aggressive dog has to be a pit bull. Of course, she is wrong but that is her perception.

Well, in the original post you said she lied and sold her another mix breed than a pit mix.

No, I said that the woman who I was talking to said that the other woman lied. That doesn't mean the other woman acutally did lie. The woman that I talked to was assuming that the person lied because the dogs became aggressive and she thought that only pitbulls can be aggressive.

See. Her prejudice about pitbulls influenced how she saw the situation.

Kinda like someone telling me that Jax is not a purebred german shepherd, despite his pedigree and champion bloodlines to the contrary, because he's a sable and doesn't have the familiar "saddleback" that you see on alot of GSDs.
roll.png

As I said before, judge the deed, not the breed.

Quote:
Well, it this case it wasn't a stereotype, but a real event.

Oh, now I understand you.

The woman had no way of knowing if her dogs were pit mixes. She assumed because they became aggressive, not because she had any test done on them. Apparently, they looked enough like what ever she originally thought that they were to take them home.

It was based on the dogs' aggression that she thought that they were pitbull mixes not on any other clue.

Yeppers, i wish i could see a picture of these puppies i bet they look nothing like a pit like you said they looked enough like what ever they said for them to bring them home.

Quote:
AH - HA!!!!!

That is exactly right! In Houston a child was mauled by two dogs and the media reported them as pit bulls, and they were not. I know the vet where they were taken she said they were definitely not pits. They looked more hound-like to her.
The paper printed a retraction, but it was buried way back on page 6 while the non pit bull attack was headlines.

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe if I give everyone a fake name that will help. There was a lot of women in the story so it was easy to get confused.

I went to a friend's house and a woman there named, Sue, was telling me that she had to get rid of two dogs. They had bought the dogs from a woman named, Jill. Jill had assured her that the dogs were a certain mix.

LAter the dogs became aggressive.

Soley based on the fact that the dogs were aggressive and not on anything else, Sue decided that the dogs must be pit bull. She then decided that Jill had lied to her because in Sue's mind only a pit bull can be aggressive.

If a poodle had turned aggressive then Sue would have said that it was part pitbull.

Yeah, I see now. A lot goes into a dog being aggressive and it has very little to do with the breed. Sometimes it can be the way that were treated (not enough excercise or human interaction) for example.

Back
Top Bottom