What Special Treat or Yummy Did Your Flock Get Today?

BOSS and some blueberries Mom brought over. It wasn't nearly the insanity that blueberries used to cause.
sad.png
They'll get some yogurt later this afternoon.

Tried spinach as an alternative green and they loved it. Stems are easy to eat as well since they're hollow. Tonight I have a bowl with a thin layer of plain natural yogurt frozen... After I stuck it in the freezer I realized I put white yogurt in a white bowl... doh! I guess I'll mix it up with some boss and let them figure it out on their own.

I put their old gravity waterer in their coop from their brooder days that I froze last night. It sits in a 4" galv pan (because of DLM) and was happy to watch from work that they were all in the pan checking things out. Turns out they have a fondness for the 6" Made in the USA sticker, and proceeded to remove all but the tacky stuff. Nice job ladies! (facepalm)

back to raisins... to say they love it is the understatement of the year. It now stands at the highest PToC Level (Preferred Treat of Choice) of 10, and can only be administered in small controlled amounts. When I put the girls back in the coop I like to make sure I leave some greens aside to spread around the coop for them to enjoy before putting themselves to bed. Their backs were turned when I pulled out miss Sun-Maid and they were all at full attention in less than half a second, all three heads together with Shrek Kitteh eyes purring for raisins. I tried this once more on a different day where the box was hidden and BARELY a corner of the red box was revealed and the alpha hen was all puhr puhr puhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I have to hide the box after giving them a few or else they will not let up. I'll let them have a whole raisin or two but most of the time I hold it and let all three tear into it for my sick enjoyment. I figure it gives them a chance to taste it better than gobbling it up like a dog.

They're getting better with frozen watermelon so I stocked up since we're due for more warm weather again.

Here's a question for you more experienced chicken lovers. I've noticed my chickens are loving all the treats, leftovers etc, but they aren't eating nearly as much of their chicken feed. Do you think I should slow down on the treats so they're getting a more balanced diet, or does it all work out anyway?

idunno.gif
:idunno

yogurt, lots of their favorite clover pulled from the garden, and a HUGE cantaloupe that i thought was ripe but just not quite yet! o, and spinach that i sat with them to hand feed!
tongue.png

Mine had a special treat today, however it wasn't from me. We had 3 1/2" of rain and temps in the 70*'s - 80*'s. Sure beat the heat index of 112* that we've had for the last couple of weeks. It was nice to see them acting like chickens instead of laying around panting all day long.

Back
Top Bottom