What tend to be the best layers?

6RandomBrownLayers

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
Hullo, so here's the story. Right now I have 6 pullets, a Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, New Hampshire Red, Delaware, White Rock and BSL. I now have surrendered to chicken math and am going to get another six. Probably in March or April. I was wondering what breeds tend to be the best layers. Most consistent, lay the biggest eggs and start laying soon. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

You listed a few of them- New Hampsire, Black Sex Link, Red Sex Link, White Leghorn (I highly don't reccomend this breed), Barred Rock, Rhode Island red.

White leghorns are great layers of white eggs. They start early and are consistent. I have red and black sex links who lay very well. I also have barred rocks who also lay very well! They are all 26 weeks old and lay everyday.

Mine is SO flighty. It's impossible to keep her confined, even though I clipped her wings so well. She's also very loud, and, though white leghorns are supposed to be early maturers, she's 33 weeks and no eggs.

My americanas (spelling) are very good layers. Also my cochins lay very well in the summer. My D'Uccles are endless layers. Rhode island reds are great also.

I'm a newb on my first small flock, So my experience is limited to my first and current flock. I have several breeds. My Barred Rock, EE, and white LH mutt(mixed with RIR and lays cream color egg. She looks mostly white LH except for gold hues that show in sunlight) lay almost every day. I really like my white leghorn, she is a pretty strong flyer and started practicing at a very young age but it doesn't cause any problems. I don't clip her wings. She is very friendly and loves attention. When I bring scratch I hold out my arm and she flys up to my arm and eats outa my hand.

Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds are the best layers. Also any breed related to these like California whites or greys, New Hampshire Reds, Red Stars, Sex Links... Barred Rocks are also good layers along with Black Stars, EEs, Astralorps, etc, etc. I also love Orpingtons since they will lay through the winter when none of my other breeds are laying.

I agree with above posts though. Leghorns can be very flighty! I had some as a kid that were super sweet and easy but these came from a small farm that bred them with temperament in mind. Most hatchery stock will be flighty.

Leghorns but i have to agree with star lover about them,If i were going to get chickens for just laying i would get red or black sex links mine were very consistent and layed large eggs plus they were very calm.

Are you concerned about feed to egg production ratio? If so, the smaller birds tend to do better. There is a chicken called the Austra White which is a mix of Leghorn and Black Australorp that is a consistent layer and not much larger than a Leghorn, but a bit friendlier. It's white with black spots, kind of like a splash.

The Turken also has a good feed conversion ratio due to having fewer feathers.

Back
Top Bottom