What the heck have I brought home? ***picture heavy***

Back2MyRoots

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Auburn, Alabama
A while back I brought home two mystery chicks. Well I'm sure they are hens, but I have no idea what breed they might be (or be crossed with). I'm awfully curious as to what color eggs they may lay? They are 20 weeks old now and still no eggs. Arrianne is the "blond" headed one. Her face has always been awfully pale. Is that normal? Molly is the "brunette". Her face has a good bit of black on it. They both have super tiny combs and wattles. Any info y'all could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

They just look like pretty barnyard mix pullets. I would doubt the age, they don't look anywhere close to laying to me. I can't see combs really well, but they look like straight combs. They should be nice brown egg layers.

They just look like pretty barnyard mix pullets. I would doubt the age, they don't look anywhere close to laying to me. I can't see combs really well, but they look like straight combs. They should be nice brown egg layers.

Thanks for the info. The thing is though, about the age, I have had them pretty much their whole lives, so the age may be off a week or two at the most, but this friday, I will have had them for 16 weeks.

The feather pattern they show is called golden penciled. They may be golden penciled Hamburg mixes. They are both female and neither is ready to start laying yet. Their faces, wattles and combs will turn deep red and get bigger when laying is closer.

Only a few varieties of chickens lay as early as 20 weeks. An average age for a hen to start laying is 6 months +.

Last edited:
WOW...I don't know what breed they are but they are gorgeous! Congrats!
smile.png

The feather pattern they show is called golden penciled. They may be golden penciled Hamburg mixes. They are both female and neither is ready to start laying yet. Their faces, wattles and combs will turn deep red and get bigger when laying is closer.

Only a few varieties of chickens lay as early as 20 weeks. An average age for a hen to start laying is 6 months +.
That's good to know. I had been told when I bought them that they were easter eggers, but as they got a bit older, I figured out that they weren't. I sure was hoping for a blue or green egg!

The golden penciled Hamburg mix is a start. I'll look that up. Thanks so much!

Most likely some sort of jungle foul, probably a type of Banty. The yellow headed one definitely looks like one. They both look really good. Hope I have helped.

Back
Top Bottom