What the heck is it? (Delaware or Columbian Wyandotte maybe?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chew593, May 22, 2011.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband and I broke my broody austrolorp by sticking day old chicks under her in the middle of the night. He went to the local feed store and got a barred rock chick and a baby from a bin labled "black sex link." This little baby was all white fuzz (and, according to my husband, all her bin mates were all white fuzz) Today it is an all white chicken with black tips on it's feathers. My broody is taking wonderful care of them and they're about 3.5 weeks old. I've done some research and I know black sex link males look like barred rocks, and the females are black and brown highlights. Obviously I don't have a black sex link, but would love your humble opinion on the breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    I dont know for sure but it looks like a tetra tint I got there, but yours is much more rounded, maybe a cornish cross?

3. Chew593

Quote:I think s/he is just puffed up getting ready to dust bathe. I didn't get them at TSC I got them from a local owned feed store called Sutter Orchard Supply. I'm hoping not a cornish x. I want a laying bird not a meat bird :-(

4. Chew593

also, she's growing at the same rate as her barred rock companion.

5. Chew593

Ok, so I've done some internet research and I'm thinking maybe it's a Columbian Wyandotte or a Delaware? I tried calling the feed store, but they're closed on Sundays. Your guesses are more fun anyway.

6. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a deleware to me. I'm not sure though.. My delewares are younger than most of my chicks,and they're bigger!

7. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    What kind of comb does it have? Delawares havea single comb, Columbian Wyandottes have a rose comb

8. Chew593

I'm not sure about the comb yet... haven't looked really close. I'm hoping it's a wyandotte [​IMG] I got my slw from the same outfit last year and she's a keeper.

9. Chew593

So she appears to have a single comb, so that brings it down to a delaware, I'm thinking.

10. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Does she look like this now?
    If she does she's a deleware.

[​IMG]

^ That's Little Derp AKA Salt
    (My deleware chick)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by