What the heck??!!

Quote:
Jennifer
Apparently you did not read a little further down on this post. You will have read that I didn't actually haul off and kick her across the yard. As stated it was a: put my foot under her, lift and toss her a little. I am new to chickens and when I had a chicken biting (sometimes drawing blood), I did what I thought was right. For 3 days I poked her when she bit me. After that, I came here for help. I have recieved great advice and learned that what I was doing was actually agging her on. So before you become judgemental, maybe you should read a little further. Anyone who knows me on this site, knows how much I love and spoil my hens. And of course I took the advice of others here. I have 2 little girls that were also getting bitten by her and initially did what I thought was right. When she was coming at me so aggressively that last time, and I did toss her, I felt horrible. I immediately came in here to ask for help since this is new to me. Maybe think twice before you respond to someone who was asking for help, especially if you have no help to offer.

I did read it all , and of course it was a gentle kick. Im sure your didnt act like an enraged phsycho , but even a "little" boot could injure a bird upon landing...and as i said im glad you took the advice of others because They had some great techniques. And as far as not being able to post if you dont have "good advice" , Its an open forum... I think that not kicking or hitting animals infront of children is great advice.

We all make mistakes. I commend you for seeking an alternative

You are correct Jennifer in that we all make mistakes. I am far from perfect in all aspects of life. You are right that this is an open forum, but your response was neither kind nor offering of any help when relating to the problem of the aggressive chicken. There is a big difference between offering "advice" and offering "criticism". And again, I stand in my original response that your judgment (and criticism) was neither helpful, kind or productive. When someone is asking for help, if you have none to offer, then you should keep your counterproductive judgement to yourself. I realize that by posting here, I am potentially open game, but that does not mean that I'm going to sit back and say nothing.

Quote:
x2! My little EE who is on the bottom of the pecking order didnt want to go back into the henhouse after free ranging a bit. So she took it upon herself to peck me! Well I picked her up held her on her back and said NO! Yes I feel bad for her because shes at the bottom of the pecking order but nobody pecks me!!
lol.png

(I know your not supposed to put chickens on their back because they dont "submit" like dogs do but Hey! I train dogs!!
lau.gif
)

Thankfully Scarlett, she's been getting better. I have a feeling that when that first egg come, she'll be back to her old self again.
smile.png

Quote:
OMG.,. that is what I was just going to say.... "no more chix swimming with the girls missy!!!" That does have to be really hard on you when you are so close to your babies. My one GLW is doing that as well. She has been laying for a few weeks, and it's like she just 'grew up' into the 'teenage years'.
hmm.png

On another note, I just read your very cute blog. I do love me some black cats and BO's too. Great combo...
75545_img_0616.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Pharm Girl. You are so lucky that you have all sweet girls. I've heard so many stories about sweet roo's turning mean. I NEVER imagined that one of my sweet, sweet hens would become mean
hide.gif
. Thank goodness I now know how to handle it. In my latest blog post, you can see how red their faces are, so I'm really hoping that the eggs will be here SOON!!!

clap.gif
your first egg will be sooooooo awesome. From how i can see you and your girls will just jump around and cry when you get your first egg. (I did. We are such morons) make sure you take photos of it. We allll want to see it! you get to be the 'proud egg grandmomma!'

hugs.gif

Quote:
OMG.,. that is what I was just going to say.... "no more chix swimming with the girls missy!!!" That does have to be really hard on you when you are so close to your babies. My one GLW is doing that as well. She has been laying for a few weeks, and it's like she just 'grew up' into the 'teenage years'.
hmm.png

Believe me, I WOULD have told her that, but the pool has been down for over a month now. Couldn't use that one.
wink.png

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. I'm hoping that the hormones will settle and she'll go back. Maybe they will for your girl too. If not, we'll just give her the respect that she needs. I will miss snatching her and snuggling though. All I have to say is that the other two BETTER STAY SWEET!

i had been wondering what to do with her as well. I think it is just growing up and gaining her independance. she is starting to be nicer i think. She would bite my fingers when i put them on the ground to pick up something. I just saw another thread on here with about the same question. Maybe it's something in the seasons.... Just keep loving them and wear heavy boots.
big_smile.png
I would go into my coop at dusk and pick her up and hold her next to me. make her stay with my hugs against my chest. I bet that was like the holding her down to the ground bit. hmmm... we will just wait and see. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom