1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time of day do your Hens Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joe.G, Mar 1, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

My hens lay from 10 to 12 am, bu there is always some late afternoon layers.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Mid-day.

3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK

Found this:

Quote: When my hens came into lay this year, I started noting down who laid what and when. The time quoted above seems pretty accurate to me from my experience.

1 person likes this.
  4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My production red is always the first, followed by my silkie, Delware and mixed All usually lay before 10am. The next three lay right around 11:00 - 12:00 noon (BO, BR and Cochin) and when my Polish hen decides to lay, it's always 3:00 or after. :p

5. My grandmas- in the morning AFTER we feed them ( they knew we crave those eggs LOL)

Ours- morning (EE) mid day (orpington) late if at all (EE, doesnt even lay green eggs)

we only have 3 egg layers so far, but we have some chicks

6. Oh and its strange, the rooster hasnt been laying lately [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless a chicken lays an egg every day of the year it's impossible for them to lay the same time every day.
    It may seem like they lay a certain time.
    Chickens in their prime are every 26 hours minimum. There are 24 hours in a day. That means they will be a little later each day till they have to skip a day. The next several days the eggs become fully developed at night so they wait till morning to lay them. That goes on for at least the next week after the skipped day.
    That makes it seem like they always lay in the morning because most of them are laid in the morning but not all.
    In the morning, if treats are being given or some other excitement interrupts them they'll wait longer to lay.
    Those of you that let your birds out in the morning and throw scratch, well, they aren't going to stop eating scratch and go lay an egg until after that excitement is over. Those are the ones that seem like they lay around 10 or 11.
    Research shows if feed is provided when a hen is about to lay, that will interrupt the cycle.
    ETA
    Older birds past their prime that don't lay every day will seem like they always lay in the morning and they probably always do.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    3 people like this.
  8. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    It depends on the day!!! They lay early in the morning and then it gets later and later in the morning until they don't lay for a day. Then they start the cycle again.

9. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    How do you guys know what chicken lays what? I come out and there are eggs in the Boxes for the most part I am not there when they lay.

10. Momoftwo04

Momoftwo04 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    My girls lay through out the day. I have some that lay in the morning and some that lay in the afternoon. They all want to lay in the same box. It's so funny. Even if there is one already in the box another one will squeeze in there too. I have some that like to sit for a bit on the eggs and some that just lay and go. They all will "sound the alarm" to let me know there is someone in there laying or that someone just laied.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by