What time to put chickens/ducks to bed - general consensus?

As @Soon2BChixMom said, if they have an enclosed run to go into, you could leave them out into that before you go to work, providing the run is very very secure and predator proof. You could then put the food in the run (under somewhere with a roof/shade) for them to nibble on all day. Or you could just put food in the coop if you’re going to be gone a long time and don’t want to leave them out :)

It will only be once a week and I get home by noon. It all depends on the seasons and what time it gets light out. I don't want them out without me there if it isn't completely light. I'm more of a night person, so in the summer I am out in the yard with my dogs until Midnite at least.

I have predator proof runs with a normal sized "door" and ramp for the chickens to enter the coop. I do free range them, but put them back in the run before dinner time. I have two runs and coops. My old hens are in run#2 and they put themselves to bed early, as early as 7 or 7:30pm. The young birds are still out until it's totally dark (8pm), and I've caught a couple of them "sleeping" outside too. I'm glad that the runs are totally safe and I don't have to go out and lock them up and also unlock them in the morning. My chickens are not morning chickens either. They don't come out of the coop until 9am at times! All food and water is kept in the run, I don't allow it in the coops. Coops are for sleeping and laying eggs!
:love

No later than 8:00 or 8:30 at night though in the darkest days, earlier isnt a bad idea either. I wouldnt let mine out in the morning any earlier than 9:00. Just from experience, that has what has worked best here.

Hi All.

Was just wondering what time does everyone lock up their chickens/ducks for the night (if you don’t have an automatic door) and what time you let them out again?

My mother and I are having this debate right now. My mother wants to lock them up early (8:30pm) whereas I’m more of a 10pm gal. She wants to let them out at 6:30am whereas I feel that’s dangerous, the last fox attack we had Happened at that time. I’d rather let them out at 9:30am ish.

So what does everyone else do/think? I’d like to be the ones they see first in the morning but I have the issue of being asleep lol!!
I have an alarm set to put mine in that changes depending on the time of year. I generally set it for right after everyone is inside. As for morning, I let them out right after I wake up.

Hi All.

Was just wondering what time does everyone lock up their chickens/ducks for the night (if you don’t have an automatic door) and what time you let them out again?

My mother and I are having this debate right now. My mother wants to lock them up early (8:30pm) whereas I’m more of a 10pm gal. She wants to let them out at 6:30am whereas I feel that’s dangerous, the last fox attack we had Happened at that time. I’d rather let them out at 9:30am ish.

So what does everyone else do/think? I’d like to be the ones they see first in the morning but I have the issue of being asleep lol!!
We have chickens at my work place I let them out around 7 am in the summer and lick them away at 8pm Shen I’m finishing my shift to make sure they are not forgotten about and left out by night staff in the winter the chickens will put themselves in the coop around 4 and I let them out about 8am

We have chickens at my work place I let them out around 7 am in the summer and lick them away at 8pm Shen I’m finishing my shift to make sure they are not forgotten about and left out by night staff in the winter the chickens will put themselves in the coop around 4 and I let them out about 8am
Welcome! :welcome

5 year old thread. Your response may not be seen by OP who hasn't had a post in almost 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom