What to do about Neighbors Chickens....(Updated pg5)

thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice and kind wishes.

Here is the update, He came over to my house to place a note in my car and I saw him outside. So i went outside, He apologized to me for any problems he had caused and told me he was unable to care for these chickens because his wife left him ECT...ECT I was nice about it but I told him there was no excuess in starving them and I asked him what happened to the roo. He told me he did not know what happened to the roo. I told him he knew I had chickens so therefore I had feed and if he needed feed I would have willing gave him feed for his chickens.

I explained to him about the stuff that went on before this wasn't the first time. He didnt have much to say but Sorry.

As he left he told me I could keep the birds and do whatever I wanted to with them because he had no need for them. I offered to pay him and he didnt speak a word just walked away.

So as of this evening my uncle came and took the 3 birds back to his farm. Without the roo because he is no where to be found.

If he turns up I will get him and put him into a pet taxi but I fear the chicken killing dog of my neighbors killed him.
hit.gif

As I spoke to him I told him that if he got any other chickens that if they were not cared for properly and ended up at my house starved I would have to take Legal action which I didnt want to do.
I told him I knew hard times hit alot of people and I understand that but I would give my animals away before I let them starve.

I am just happy this ended as a happy ending for these 3 birds.

They will have over 12 acers to free range so I am very happy tonight.

Again I wanna THANK Everyone for all the adive and best wishes. Even the tough Advice helped me out...I went by this the right way and in the end I turned up on top.

Thanks everyone!
thumbsup.gif

If their home coop is a mile away, might those chickens have turned feral or wild?
I don't know that much about chickens but if they are a mile away they may be lost.
I can see how the owner might assume after a day or two that the chickens were vicitim of predators.

Glad this all turned out well in the end, maybe the roo will still show up too and if not at least he didnt die of starvation.

Kudo's to you for sticking up for these chickens and finding them a good home
clap.gif

Nancy
smile.png

So glad to see that he finally manned up and came over to talk to you. Life can be rough when you go through something devastating like a spouse leaving you but no matter what if you have children or animals you have a commitment to care for them. At least he gave you the opportunity to do the right thing.

position is 9/10ths of the law

caf.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif

This was posted 2x & is wrong 2x
1.) The saying goes "Possession is 9/10 the law"
2.) If that is true why can you be charged with "Possessing Stolen Goods"

Sorry but that was driving me crazy - Theft is Theft.

hide.gif

To the OP - Glad this worked out for you!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
caf.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif

This was posted 2x & is wrong 2x
1.) The saying goes "Possession is 9/10 the law"
2.) If that is true why can you be charged with "Possessing Stolen Goods"

Sorry but that was driving me crazy - Theft is Theft.

hide.gif

To the OP - Glad this worked out for you!
thumbsup.gif

Possession is 9/10ths of the law! Abuse is abuse.

Glad to hear that this sad chicken story has come to a (almost completely) happy ending...

Last edited:
if its on your property more than any given days and you have complained about it and or reported that person you can take action upon yourself and do with it what you want the expression i used is not wrong and now adays you can becharged for anything a simple little thing.

You did good.

So pleased this has worked out right in the end.

be proud of yourself.

You did right.

hugs.gif

Jena.

I'm so glad this issue was resolved, I think you did extremely well.

Many years ago, when we lived in Seattle, a kitty turned up at our back porch window, crying piteously. There was snow on the ground. We let her in, and fed her. She was obviously famished. We didn't know for sure, but one of the kids thought she might belong to a neighbor behind us. She had other animals that were being neglected, (which is a whole other story, involving animal control and a bad ending) and we decided to just keep our mouths shut.

After we'd had her a couple of weeks, (and realized she was pregnant) the woman who lived down the hill behind us saw her, and told us that this was her cat. Said she'd always been an indoor cat. Then one day, with snow on the ground, this woman decided that the cat should live outside, and catch mice for a living. The cat wasn't peeing on the rug or anything, the woman was just "tired of her freeloading" and threw her outside. The cat was a little over 2 years old at the time, and had always been kept indoors. The woman said, "Well, I see she's found a sucker to let her in the house. You're welcome to her."

We were flabbergasted, and relieved that she wasn't demanding the cat be returned. We kept her, and she came with us to KY. She died about a year ago, at around 17 years of age. She never did learn to hunt, BTW, but she was a loving friend.

I'm not sure what my point is here, except that sometimes you just have to do what's right. I'm sure it could have been considered theft, if that woman wanted to push it. If it had come down to it, we would've been going to court.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom