What to do? filling out application....

kellieg1

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Marthasville
I've been trying to find a job close to home. They are building a dollar general store in the little town that we live near by. I stopped there and talked to one of the, I think, managers about an application. She said to fill one out on line. So I go on line and your are to print it and take it to the store no problem. The problem is they want work references. They last place I worked does not excest (sp) anymore and the one before that too. So I don't know what to do? I would really like to work there close to home and all.

So do you fill it out the the last info you have for both or leave it blank?

I haven't worked in a while (2001). I wondering if they would even consider me at all since its been that long ago that I have worked.
I'm just looking for some suggests if anyone have been in this kind of perdicertment before and what did you do!
barnie.gif

Thanks for the help...
Kellie

I applied for dg not long ago never got hired because of my height. I had refences id assume youd leave it blank.

I wouldn't leave it blank, regardless of whether or not those places are reachable now or not. On most job applications there is a spot where you check off whether or not the former employer can be contacted or not. It's not a requirement that you allow that sort of thing anyway. If they ask you, you will simply tell them that those places are no longer in business.

I've been a retail manager for many years and have gone through quite a few job applications during the hiring process. Just like when you're "selling" in a retail environment, you need to sell yourself a little to get a job. I'm not talking about lying or cheating - I'm talking about putting your best foot forward and saucing yourself up the way you should be.

If they ask you why you haven't worked since then - tell them what you've been up to. Maybe you've been a stay at home mom? Maybe you went back to school? Maybe you tried opening your own business? Whatever it is - if you make it to the interview process, be it on the phone or in person - they will ask you about the gap in employment. If the answer is that you were eating bon bons on your mom's sofa while watching Judge Judy, they might pass you by!
wink.png
In my opinion, leaving it blank doesn't even give you a chance to explain anything and is already closing a door.

Another thing - check your spelling, girl! I know we're more lax about it on BYC (well most of us are) but don't put anything like (sp) or any sort of slang on that application. Talk in full and proper sentences just like you were in school and run it through a spell check before you send it off. Perspective employers wouldn't look well upon spelling errors.

Pick intelligent references who will speak well and speak highly of you. Not everyone wants to see someone's Aunt Pearl or Cousin Sophie as a reference. Do you have a former teacher or clergy person who could speak for you?

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Never leave a blank on an application. Under where it says address and phone number, just write Out of Business. Believe me this has happened to me more times that I would like to admit.

Thank you for all of suggestions! I really do appricate it.

Itsy...I know not the put (sp) or any kind of slang stuff on an application.
wink.png
wink.png
( I hope that didn't sound mean or anything like that. which I didn't want it to ever!)

ps I wish BYC's had spell check!

Quote:
What browser are you using? I use Google Chrome and it always puts the red squiggly under my misspelled words. I just have to right click to find the right spelling.

I would fill out what information you have, and indicate that those businesses no longer exist, but also include personal/character references that are listed as such. Good luck.
smile.png

PS. http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/425906-listing-jobs-have-either-moved-no.html

From
http://www.quintcareers.com/resume_FAQ.html#resume-content :
What if a former employer no longer exists or has changed its name?

For the out-of-business employer, you can simply state "no longer in business," "ceased operations," or "defunct" after listing the employer's name. For an employer that had a different name when you worked there than it does now, list like this:
Andersen Consulting (now Accenture)

Or, if you work in a renamed company and fear its new name won't be recognized, list like this:
Accenture (formerly Andersen Consulting)​

Last edited:
I have some references that are similar. I still put down the information but put a side note that the company is no longer in business. I have been hired several times with having to list references like that.

For some jobs I have had to include current information for any past bosses I've had. However, for most jobs in retail, I just had to list my experience and that was it. The references were separate from the job history.

Back
Top Bottom