What should I do for Cheddar?

• Put her with the big girls

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Get her a buddy and keep them closer to the house

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Make her a house duck

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
I'm leaning towards getting her a friend and keeping them in the front yard. Now to see if I can find a Call suck or maybe a Runner (cuz they're smallish)....
I got the call ducks for my runner because I couldn't pen up my other runners with her permanently. They get really grumpy being penned up. They still get along great, but I just couldn't do that to them. They love foraging too much. If I end up with two call drakes, I may need to rehome one. I think I likely have one female and one drake.

I got the call ducks for my runner because I couldn't pen up my other runners with her permanently. They get really grumpy being penned up. They still get along great, but I just couldn't do that to them. They love foraging too much. If I end up with two call drakes, I may need to rehome one. I think I likely have one female and one drake.
If you do end up needing to rehome a drake, let me know! But I hope you have at least 1 of each.

I would take the duck to work with me….just saying it’s an option 🤣

Kidding obviously. I would get a friend. The lady I got mine from today doesn’t like the idea of shipping them. Makes her nervous, otherwise I would give you her info. But one more duck wouldn’t hurt anything. 😁

BTW I love seeing new pictures of Cheddar!!!

Found Call ducks near me that are her age! Holy cow! Didn't even know there was a breeder here. She's only a couple of miles away, too. Soooooo tempting.

Just kind of afraid of what hubby will say. Honestly, he can't say much because I take care of all the animals, but I don't like angering him. I will see what arguments I can make to sway him. Give him a sob story about how lonely she will be when I'm gone and how scary the big flock is....

And if I do get another duckie, I have the perfect name picked out. Tee hee!

I should have this all decided by Monday. And you'll be the first to know because no one else seems to understand my obsession with ducks and chickens. The mammals I obsess over, people understand - even the goats. Just not birds.

People are weird.

Found Call ducks near me that are her age! Holy cow! Didn't even know there was a breeder here. She's only a couple of miles away, too. Soooooo tempting.

Just kind of afraid of what hubby will say. Honestly, he can't say much because I take care of all the animals, but I don't like angering him. I will see what arguments I can make to sway him. Give him a sob story about how lonely she will be when I'm gone and how scary the big flock is....

I should have this all decided by Monday. And you'll be the first to know because no one else seems to understand my obsession with ducks and chickens. The mammals I obsess over, people understand - even the goats. Just not birds.

People are weird.
Why don't people understand your love for birds? It just doesn't make sense to me. Why should you be any less close with them than a dog or a horse or a goat?
My family didn't understand, either, until they saw how my babies ran to me.

People are weird.
You may convince him if you leave him alone with cheddar. If she cries out for you, there is a good chance with those lungs he will be happy to have someone to keep her happy and quieter.

Ducks and chickens and turkeys and etc. are not pets! They belong in the country, on a farm. That seems to be the consensus amongst the general population. They see people with rescue chickens in their houses and are repulsed. And it's a shame... They are missing out on a wonderful animal that is personable and loving, as much as any dog or cat.

I love my cats, and my dog (big idiot that he is), but I also love my outdoor critters. My two roosters come running to me when I go outside, and follow me everywhere. So do the ducks, especially the half-grown ducklings who love to be scritched and pet.

And recently, I took in one of my daughter's bantam cochin chicks after she (the chicken) suffered from heat stroke and have nursed her back to health, and am seriously considering just keeping her inside with me, lol! Such a sweet little thing. She makes soft trilling noises when I hold her and we snuggle and watch videos together. :)

Back
Top Bottom