What to do for hens raising chicks when using Nipple waterer

jackcreek

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
I have a hen that went broody yesterday. I use nipple waterers installed in the bottom of a bucket. I know the hen will teach the chicks how to drink but am not quite sure how this works with these waterers. I know I have to put one that is low enough for the chicks to reach but is this all I need to do or is there more? Thanks in advance!

I take each chick out of the incubator and lightly press their beaks against the nipple as I put them into the brooder. I would think you could do the same, as long as you can round up the chicks
1f61c.png
1f425.png

Thank you! The hen hatched four chicks and I was fortunate to be in the coop when she brought them out and taught them to use the waterer! That was really neat to watch! I did make some adjustments as it was hard for the hen to get water from it and she would not go to the "big chicken waterer". I raised it up higher and put some boards that the chicks could get on to drink and the hen can still stand on the ground. She still has to work a little harder to get her water from it but it is working and after a week she has started venturing around more and will go to the adult waterer!

Maybe you could add a higher waterer for your momma by using a plastic soda bottle, with a nipple - thats what i tend to do.

CT

That's what I did for my chicks, only I used an old hiking water bottle, installing vertical nipples in the bottom and hanging it at the height of the chicks' heads. I neglected to open the cap on top to release the vacuum, though, and water didn't want to come out until after I noticed my blunder.

Chicks grow so darned fast, I had to keep raising the bottle, but they learned to drink from it surprisingly fast. Later, after they were fully integrated with the flock, I added a short stump under the large waterer so the chicks could reach the nipples.

Thanks! Great idea. I will keep them in mind for next time she goes broody. Despite all my research I still seem to have a high learning curve lol!!!

I agree with the above answers, but I also address the issue of improved health by adding a product called Avia Charge-2000 to the water. This helps get the chicks off to a great start. If I feel the chicks' health aren't as I would like, I will also add Immuno Charge to the water as well. This is an all natural antibiotic that will help get the chicks "over the hump".

Back
Top Bottom