What to do for wounded hen while I'm away... I need advice today!

FreeChicken!

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2010
Recently I did bumblefoot surgery on one of my hens. Whenever I changed her bandages in the days afterward, I saw that her healing was going really well. When I did the surgery, the area where the bumble was, in between her toes, was very swollen, but gradually it was shrinking down to normal size after the surgery.
I just took off her bandages a few minutes ago, and I'm relieved to see that she's healing much quicker than I expected her to. Her foot is almost down to a normal size again, and a scab has finally formed to cover the wound, with no sign of infection.
It's definitely getting better at a good pace, but it's not completely healed yet, so I'm not comfortable with leaving her alone for a while. And that's where things get complicated. I'm leaving town tonight, and I won't be back for a little over a week. I was lucky to find friends who will take care of my animals while I'm away, but I'm not sure I can trust them with catching the hen, calming her down, taking off her bandage, giving her the antibiotics, cutting up bandages to the right size, and re-bandaging. And I know they wouldn't want to.
So I'm not sure what to do for my hen while I'm away. I have vetwrap bandages, which I find to be waterproof yet airy. So I was thinking of putting that on her foot to keep dirt off, but I wouldn't want to end up accidentally suffocating her foot. Or would my hen be fine now that she has a healthy scab? I haven't had to deal with this before leaving for a while, so I'm not sure quite what to do.
Any advice?

Sorry I can't provide you with a picture of her foot! My camera broke. Darn. ):

Last edited:
Can you ask one of your friends if he/she would like to learn how to catch and change out the dressing, give antibiotics, etc... in detail for your hen, in trade for some eggs or $$? Do you live near Jax, Fl? I'd do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom