What to do - pip but not zipping

Laceykk

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
The first pip was seen yesterday morning at 6:30 AM under a broody hen. Nothing further until this morning (25 hours later). The hole enlarged all day and I could see the beak moving (right where hole is) and cheeping. It is now 36 hours since initial pip and I don't see the chick moving. I don't see anything out of the ordinary other than it isn't moving. Can it be sleeping or did it die? What should I do? What happened?

Last edited:
Do you have an incubator?
It could be napping or it could have died.

Can you keep it warm somehow and watch it for a little while to make sure it isn't napping?

The mother hen is doing a great job of keeping it warm under her. It's also very warm and humid out. Can they sleep with beak closed and see no visible movement? Just a few hours ago, he was fine!

The mother hen is doing a great job of keeping it warm under her. It's also very warm and humid out. Can they sleep with beak closed and see no visible movement? Just a few hours ago, he was fine!

I have the same question. My egg in the incubator pipped last night and stopped zipping half way earlier today and now no movement and no peeping. How do I confirm if it died or napping?

I have the same question. My egg in the incubator pipped last night and stopped zipping half way earlier today and now no movement and no peeping. How do I confirm if it died or napping?
If the chick was zipping for sure then it is ready to come out and may have gotten stuck. If you ever have an egg that has starting zipping and stopped for an extended period of time (for me that’s anything over an hour) then definitely check on it. When that happens to me I simply pull the egg apart (which is super easy since it’s halfway open from the semi-zip already). They won’t nap during zip time. Just to confirm the zip is when the chick rotates around the inside of the egg, cracking the shell all the way around. Definitely take the egg out and make sure the chick is still alive.

Pull the egg out and shine a light into the pip and see if you can see the chick breathing. Look for subtle movement. Also you can tap on the shell and the chick should move or respond with peeping.

Pull the egg out and shine a light into the pip and see if you can see the chick breathing. Look for subtle movement. Also you can tap on the shell and the chick should move or respond with peeping.
I agree. If it has pipped but not zipped it may not have absorbed all of the yolk yet. You have to be very careful and pick a little bit of the shell from around the pip. It may have given up but you will be able to tell.

I agree. If it has pipped but not zipped it may not have absorbed all of the yolk yet. You have to be very careful and pick a little bit of the shell from around the pip. It may have given up but you will be able to tell.
Thanks, photos in my post above. Ideas about what went wrong?

Back
Top Bottom