What to do with a half-wethered pygmy goat?

Quote:
That really doesn't tell me that they are only half neutered. You cannot see the retained testicle by "looking under". A Monorchid (which is what you call an animal with one testicle retained in the abdomen) isn't going to be noticeable except if he's breeding and producing (can happen even with the testes retained) or the behavior gets very aggressive. I have dealt with Monorchid and Cryptorchid dogs and thought you couldn't tell from just looking at the dog their behavior was "different".

I don't think a wether peeing on himself is so unusual either. But I am no goat expert.

Quote:
That really doesn't tell me that they are only half neutered. You cannot see the retained testicle by "looking under". A Monorchid (which is what you call an animal with one testicle retained in the abdomen) isn't going to be noticeable except if he's breeding and producing (can happen even with the testes retained) or the behavior gets very aggressive. I have dealt with Monorchid and Cryptorchid dogs and thought you couldn't tell from just looking at the dog their behavior was "different".

I don't think a wether peeing on himself is so unusual either. But I am no goat expert.

My Bouvier Dog sometimes pees on himself, trust me he is completely neutered.....
I have seen horses with retained testicles and the only way to tell would be before anything was removed and you would have to really look and sometimes feel. I am not sure if a vet could do a blood test to check for hormone levels that may give a clue. I know blood tests can be done on horses, I had to have one done one time as I had a gelding exhibiting stallion like behavior.

I had a friend with a goat with a retained testicle. He had been surgically neutered the first time by the breeder since something wasn't right but the 2nd one was up too high and they didnt want to dig around to search for it. She was told that he wouldnt be able to breed and should be treated just like a wether but he still looked somewhat bucky with longer hair and he did stink like a buck and he did act a little bucky sometimes. He was kept with does and never produced any babies and eventually they did do surgery to fix it to get rid of his smell and other bucky traits. Otherwise there were no other outward appearances to be able to tell he had a retained testicle....

I would never ever use those kind of traits for breeding goats.....it is a genetic problems and it can backfire on you if one wants a buck and ended up having one testicle.

Regardless of what you want to do with them and you said that you dont have the room, time for them to go.

Thanks for all the input! It's settled... I'm gonna sell them as wethers, because that's what they are!

smile.png

Quote:
They could still be fertile with a retained testicle, so I'd actually feel around and see if you can find one. What if someone buys it for a companion for their doe and the doe gets bred? I would be totally honest when you sell them. Tell them he *may* have not been castrated properly.

Back
Top Bottom