What to do with a rooster when you don’t want fertile eggs all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegans don't eat eggs. Some vegetarians, as lacto-ovo vegetarians, do.

ETA I mulled on this for a while and want to declare myself to be a vegetarian who eats mostly .eat, eggs and cheese. No one else's thoughts or feelings on the matter will impact how I define myself.
The only animal products I eat are eggs and cheese. Occasional milk when it's in products already. I personal will probably never be vegan.....i love cheese :)

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is your plan for the chicks. Unless you plan to keep every chick and keep two separate flocks (one all males, one all females), then you will need to come up with a plan on what to do with them.

I always see lots of ads for Silkie roosters available in my area and they don't go fast. If you can't handle the idea of some of those birds going to other people's dinner tables, I would suggest not raising chicks. Silkies aren't much for meat but they won't all go on to be pets.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is your plan for the chicks. Unless you plan to keep every chick and keep two separate flocks (one all males, one all females), then you will need to come up with a plan on what to do with them.

I always see lots of ads for Silkie roosters available in my area and they don't go fast. If you can't handle the idea of some of those birds going to other people's dinner tables, I would suggest not raising chicks. Silkies aren't much for meat but they won't all go on to be pets.
This is something great to mention, i didn’t even think of that.

OP, if you would be concerned for the chicks wellbeing, i’d like to add that culling might be a good choice. Some are very painless and are better then worrying if they aren’t living a good life. Just a thought.

That's also something to consider. Sometimes, not way too often, but often enough that it deserves being mentioned, your chicks might not be perfectly healthy and thus have a bad quality of life. OP, are you OK with culling animals when they are not enjoying their lives?

Silkies are small, scrawny and have black or gray skin. They're really unappealing table fare. Being rehomed to an owner who ends up ignoring the bird would be main concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom