1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with Leftover Parts?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Cheyen, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I recently cooked my first chicken all on my own! It tasted really good, but I felt wasteful tossing out the feet and head. I know you can cook chicken feet (I think the ones at most ethnic restaurants are boiled or steamed, right?), but I don't really like the taste. Can you eat the head and feet without boiling/steaming them or making them into a stock or broth? It may seem weird, but I'm really interested in trying something new. Can I just fry up the head and chow down? Lol [​IMG]

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    A friend throws the heads to his dog, and she loves them! Crunches them right down! I know you can put the heads in the stock pot, but I don't want to. The feet I peel and put in the stock pot. I don't want to eat them. Too far out for me. But I don't want to waste them. When the stock is finished, I strain it and all the bits go in the compost pile.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine go either to the dogs or back to the flock. I don't consider either waste, anything they eat like that is less I have to pay to feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by