What to do with Mallards?

Regina137

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2022
Ok so I’m in a weird situation. I have three wild mallards that I hatched under my broody hens. A friend found an abandoned nest (mama duck left with seven successfully hatched babies) and she brought me three live eggs. I didn’t know it was against the law.

Now I have three that I would LOVE to surrender to a wildlife sanctuary. They’re just living with my other birds. Still too young to fly. But with avian flu, nowhere is accepting waterfowl this year. These three have been raised by me and I don’t think for a second they could survive in the wild. My local department of wildlife basically said just find a lake and let them go. I feel like that is basically a death sentence, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas what to do with these guys? Was genuinely trying to do a good deed and now I’m at a loss.

I don't know where you live but there are wildlife sanctuaries all over the place. Did you try a google search?
A friend of mine used to do geese control with a permit to take down nests. She was about to oil a nest of eggs and realized they were about to hatch. She brought them to me and I hatched them. I gave the goslings back to her when they hatched, and she took them to a goose rescue organization near here.

I don't know where you live but there are wildlife sanctuaries all over the place. Did you try a google search?
A friend of mine used to do geese control with a permit to take down nests. She was about to oil a nest of eggs and realized they were about to hatch. She brought them to me and I hatched them. I gave the goslings back to her when they hatched, and she took them to a goose rescue organization near here.
That was my thought. I’m in Idaho and avian flu has been tearing through here. There aren’t any sanctuaries near me accepting water fowl, because of the risk.

Why can't you keep them then? Your right they are dependent on you for feeding and care. Or maybe look on your state forum and ask if anyone would be willing to take them in. It's at "where am I where are you."
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom