What to do with Roo missing an eyeball !?!

EggMama

Hatching
8 Years
May 10, 2011
I am having the strangest things going on this week. We were out checking on the chicks this afternoon and my daughter noticed our largest RIR roost had something wrong with his eye, I was cleaning with a damp cloth and was shocked to discover he is missing his entire eyeball but has no other visible wounds. It looks to be a clean wound, but I am treating him with Antibiotics just in case. Are there any concerns I should be aware of? Is this possibly from a fight with another rooster? Does this mean someone in my flock has a taste for eyeballs? Is the rest of my flock in danger of losing their eyes?

We once had a one-eyed roo (he lost an eye due to an injury). He fared just fine, and lived a normal life. He died of other causes.

If there aren't any other injuries, he probably wasn't fighting when it happened. There would be lots of bite wounds, etc. to his comb. He may have cought it on a stick or something. I wouldn't be worried about the rest of you flock unless it happens to another one.

I had a hen get her eye injured somehow. Husband sprayed some antibacterial stuff in her eye and wiped it. He SAYS the eyeball came out when he wiped it. So, her eye was swollen shut for a few days. When the swelling went down, guess what...there was an eye there! Soooo either my husband it crazy or we have the first eye-regenerating chicken ever!
big_smile.png

So, let it be for a few days and see what happens.

I had a rooster who had his eyeball pushed in and we thought it was pecked out, a few weeks later when I went to put the medicine in his eye was back! It sure was a surprise but that doesn't mean yours is, but a possibility

Back
Top Bottom