What to do with this outcasted drake?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have three drakes, and they've grown up together and gotten along well for about a year, but over the last couple of weeks, they've sort of started outcasting one of them and chasing him away from food. Last night, he didn't want to go into the pen with the rest of the ducks, so I let him stay out, but then he sat pitifully at the door like he wanted in, so I put him back in. Today, he's staying with the group but laying down a lot. I haven't checked him thoroughly yet to see if he's injured though I don't see any noticeable injuries just yet, but I'm most likely going to bring him inside tonight and let him sleep on the back porch for the weekend, injury or not.

I will admit I don't have enough hens for three drakes even though I do have more hens than drakes, and I have more coming this spring, but I'm just wondering what I can do with him in the meantime. I hate for him to be lonely. I thought about building a little mini-run next to my main run and letting him live in there so he can hang out with the others but they can't get to him. But I'm open to other ideas.

And if I do get more hens in the spring that I can incorporate into the group this summer, do you think I could add him back too? Thanks for any input.

Do they act ok together? I don’t know the day-to-day dynamics. You could separate two groups, and if you have a second coop maybe him & 2 ladies could sleep there once they are used to being together?​

Do they act ok together? I don’t know the day-to-day dynamics. You could separate two groups, and if you have a second coop maybe him & 2 ladies could sleep there once they are used to being together?​
All of the girls are fine with him. And they seem to do okay free-ranging. It's just once they get back into their pen in the evenings, the other two boys chase him away from the food and all over the pen until he finally goes to their little covered sleeping area and lays down. I knew there might come a point when I'd want to separate the boys from the girls, but I'd feel terrible doing that right now. And they all usually free range together from about 10 am until 4 pm.

Upon further inspection, he’s favoring one leg and limping a bit. The weird thing is most of the girls are staying with him instead of following the other drakes. I’m thinking I’ll bring him in for the weekend and If he doesn’t improve I’ll take him to the vet Monday or Tuesday. If he does improve, I may leave him with the girls and put the other two boys in a separate run.

Got him on the back porch. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have brought a girl in with him now. I hate seeing them lonely, and he wanted to go into the pen with the other ducks so badly, but they chased him right back out. He's actually acting like he wants to hang out with my cat now. :rolleyes: Anyway, he's putting more weight on his foot but still limping, and I got a better look at it and he doesn't have any cuts/sores/bumblefoot. He can also bend and flex his leg, so I don't think it's broken or anything. Maybe a pulled muscle or ligament? Hoping some rest this weekend will help him heal up. And after our rare little winter storm blows through this weekend, I'm going to use some pallets I have to make a separate small run for whichever ones I decide to separate. Anyway, thanks for the help, and thanks for letting me think out loud here.

Because of the drakes fighting during mating season, for 6 months a year, I divide them into separate flocks - 1 drake with 4 females each. Twice the work but safer for everyone.
It would be nicer for your drake if he could have a female friend for company this weekend if he is away from the rest.
Have you had any experience keeping multiple drakes together alone? I'm thinking about putting him back with the girls next week and putting the other two boys in their own run next to them for the spring/summer.

Back
Top Bottom