1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flight, Feb 7, 2009.

1. flight

flight Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    This is my first hatch. I have three chicks out however I have one that has a nice size hole that it made at about 12:00 and has not progressed past that. The chick looks to be breathing fine. What do I need to do?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    You can let it happen naturally, hopefully. Or, since three are already out, you can assist it. Something to remember, sometimes the chick will pip but take a while to hatch. If it is a god sized hole you can help it. When I assist, I learned over time that it is best to do it quick. Remeber, if it is early, then there is a chance it will die. Unfortunately, this is one of the ways we learn.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    do nothing, it can take up to 48 hours after they pip for them to hatch and do not open the bator to get the other chicks out. they can live in bator after they hatch for 48 hours with food or water, after 24 hours just make sure it is still breathing, but do not open the bator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Take a step back close the door and dont go back to look at the bator sunday morning.

5. flight

Oct 18, 2008
    the hole is about the size of a dime. I just don't want to kick myself for helping if I still have time on the other hand I don't want to not help if I need to. I would like it to do it by it's self I ya'll think it can.

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I agree with the 2 post above. It may not be ready to come out yet. Give it time.

7. flight

Oct 18, 2008
    Will do. Thanks so much
    [​IMG]

8. flight

Oct 18, 2008
    It's out [​IMG]. Now just four chickens and 16 ducks to go. Thanks for your support. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad to hear it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by