what to do ??

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
I noticed yesterday that one of my 1+ year old hens is acting a bit off. Her crop isn't enlarged, I haven't been able to catch her to examine her better. But she's a bit lethargic, distant, not wanting to forage with the rest of the flock. Stands by herself away from everyone, just standing there, a bit fluffed up.
At first I thought it was because she was fed up with the crappy weather, lots of rain and a bit colder in the evenings and days.
I gave them all probiotic yogurt yesterday and vitamin water. which she ate.
Today she's still the same.
it started to rain, so she went back to the coop and flew up onto the roost , while the others braved the weather.

would it be a good idea to treat with sulfamethatizine? even if it is not cocci or coryza ??
should I deworm her?
is it safe to do both at the same time.??
she didn't really moult like the other girls did and she hasn't started to lay again. But, it is winter, and I am not giving extra light, so the laying has stopped and slowed for the other girls.
the other hens are all healthy. so I am wondering if she is maybe egg bound or laying internally. they free range for a few hours everyday, have access to grit.

what to do?

Hello emjay,
Hmmm.... try going to this link and copy and pasting the questions and answer them in a post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569 then someone with more experience could maybe help you.

I had a chick about 5 months old that acted the same way...(not to worry you) she didn't make it
sad.png
I am not sure what was wrong with her. Is her crop mushy? For now untill someone helps you I would separate her from the flock and keep her warm and comfortable. I would even bring her into a room of my house or garage with a heat lamp (keep her warm not hot) and put some food and water in there and see if she is eating or drinking. If you bring her indoors I would practice universal precautions by keeping her separate from other animals/pets and wash your hands before and after touching her or things she has touched. Making sure that anything you use on her is clean and then cleaned afterward. Just in case
smile.png
But that is just me with my nursing assistant training
wink.png
Best of luck to you and your hen
smile.png

I have a hen who started to get very pale in the face and she would stand around fluffed up, she looked like she was extremely tired. I contacted a lady who said it sounded like Coccidiosis, she suggested we put cayanne pepper and water mixed together in a syringe (about 6 ccs) or so (a little more than a table spoon) and give it to our hen every hour (except sleeping hours.) You could also put the pepper in her water and feed unless you know your chicken is eating/drinking by it's self. Since our hen wasn't drinking we had to give her the water by syringe, it took her only about 24 hours to start to look better. She started eating and drinking on her own, we still gave her the pepper and since our hen was a mature hen she beat the Coccidiosis and is a happy healthy hen today! Now I'm not sureif this is what your chicken has but does sound like what our hen had!

Good luck

I have added some cayenne to their feed, I shall see how she looks tomorrow. She has nice color to her comb.

I do have a buff hen who has a very pink comb as compared to her two sisters who have nice red ones, wonder if that is just a lack of a vitamin or mineral, or just the way she is. she acts a ok .

Back
Top Bottom