What to do?

jonathanwkelly

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Columbia, TN
Greetings!

I've been following the forums for a few weeks now as I've raised six chicks for the first time. I know have an issue about which my research has not informed me.

As I've said, I have six pullets in a brooder (large-size dog crate with wire bottom, cardboard sides, heat lamp attached at top) and one has consistently been the runt. The breeds are (2) Rhode Island Reds, (2) Barred Rocks, and (2) Buff Orpingtons. It is one of the BOs that is having trouble. She stays about 25% smaller than the others, and this morning I noticed she's getting pecked a lot, especially by the reds (the reds stay the biggest, they are the first to eat -- they are running things in there.) She is also "squatting down" a lot -- a position similar to when they roost.

I've been researching raising pullets a lot over the last year, and all the illnesses I've run across thus far don't seem to be the case. She otherwise seems healthy. She eats, drinks, poops, walks and pecks around, flaps her wings. Is she just a runt?

Thanks for your time reading, and thanks for this great community.

It just sounds like she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and the squatting is showing her submission. Some chickens are just smaller. I have a chick that is smaller, but she is growing and eating just fine, so I don't worry =)

It just sounds like she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and the squatting is showing her submission. Some chickens are just smaller. I have a chick that is smaller, but she is growing and eating just fine, so I don't worry =)
x2. I agree, sounds like a pecking order issue. About the only thing you can do is make sure they have enough room in the brooder. Keep an eye out for possible injuries.

You may want to separate her with a docile hatchmate so she is not bullied when it comes to food and water. When you add them back, try to do it by moving all of them to another brooder or cage (seems to work better, )

Back
Top Bottom