What to Expect from Shipped chicks

Make sure that when you visit or call your local post office that they do have your phone number or numbers, and that you are available to pick the babies up immediately when they call. Also, if the chicks arrive at another location, please call so that you will drive there, wherever, at any time.
This year, early April, my chicks arrived within 24 hours at another post office, and I drove there because they called me. It saved at least twelve hours, and maybe a whole day's transit time.
Then same hatchery, early May, the chicks arrived three days after shipping, and I was really worried (frantic!). I ordered fifteen, they sent eighteen, and two died the day of arrival. The rest are doing fine, and actually two out of eighteen was pretty good after three days!
As mentioned already, have your brooder set up and running, water and food there, so you can leap up and run to bring them home right away.
I always dip each little beak in the water, and have food on the paper towels covering the shavings around the feeder, and a full feeder. I don't believe that having chick feed there causes pasty butt! Shipping stress or later overheating, yes, but not food.
Mary
Thank you!

I'd add to that, be ready for a call as early as 6AM (possibly earlier). The gals in my post office are in there super early unloading the morning truck and getting ready for the day. I get the call as soon as they hear a package chirping.
Thank you I will!

When the post office tracking say "out for delivery," either telephone the post office or drive over there anyway. I've had at least three times so far when the chicks were "out for delivery" but actually sitting in the post office. (I got quite worried the first time, but by the third time I just figured that's how tracking system worked. I did have someone able to stay home while I went to the post office, just in case they really were on the delivery truck, but that was not needed.)

I've dealt with one post office where the chicks have to wait until the doors open at 9am: no picking up of packages early, no exception if it's live chicks. Obviously, some other post offices do allow early pick-up of chicks.

Last edited:
When the post office tracking say "out for delivery," either telephone the post office or drive over there anyway. I've had at leaset three times so far when the chicks were "out for delivery" but actually sitting in the post office. (I got quite worried the first time, but by the third time I just figured that's how tracking system worked. I did have someone able to stay home while I went to the post office, just in case they really were on the delivery truck, but that was not needed.)

I've dealt with one post office where the chicks have to wait until the doors open at 9am: no picking up of packages early, no exception if it's live chicks. Obviously, some other post offices do allow early pick-up of chicks.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom