What to expect when you are expecting... a cockerel

Lyndzie

Songster
Jul 31, 2020
Indianapolis, IN USA
I have a four month old cockerel, he’s a satin feathered silkie/polish mix. A few days ago he found his voice and it’s a totally reasonable crow, not too loud and not an annoying pitch. The same day he decided to spend the afternoon attempting to mount all the pullets, who are not laying yet. Our laying hens started having fertilized eggs about a month ago, but I have not caught anyone in the act. Seeing how I am new to roosters/cockerels, what should I keep an eye out for? I’ve been getting unsolicited advice from people who don’t have chickens, so I thought maybe I should solicit advice from people who do. Do they go through a “teenage” phase, then calm down? Will his crow become louder and/or more frequent? Any tips for keeping him nice?

Thanks in advance!

This is the young man himself, Elvis.

304CC54C-949F-4412-A560-2CE118AF1A83.jpeg

Our laying hens started having fertilized eggs about a month ago, but I have not caught anyone in the act.
Really?! Surprised they would let him mount and that he would be successful at 3mo.

Do they go through a “teenage” phase, then calm down?
Will his crow become louder and/or more frequent?
Any tips for keeping him nice?
Yes and maybe.
Only time will tell.
Be calm cool collected, walk 'thru' him(make him get out of your way), don't coddle/cuddle him.

Back
Top Bottom