What to feed baby mallard

LyonFuzz

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2008
South Lyon, Michigan
So here I am minding my own business and my husband comes in with a baby mallard. It was alone in the canal and when it tried to approach some adult ducks, it was attacked. Hubby retrieved it from under a parked pontoon and figured it needed help. I've got it under a heat lamp and it appears fine, but I need to know what to feed it unti I can get it to a rehabber. Any help would be much appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

So here I am minding my own business and my husband comes in with a baby mallard. It was alone in the canal and when it tried to approach some adult ducks, it was attacked. Hubby retrieved it from under a parked pontoon and figured it needed help. I've got it under a heat lamp and it appears fine, but I need to know what to feed it unti I can get it to a rehabber. Any help would be much appreciated :) Thanks in advance.
Do you have a Walmart near you? If so, check to see if your stare carries chick starter. Non medicated or medicated, either will work.

Last edited:
I read through the thread, thanks for the info! I still wouldn't change my advice though, because the consensus seems to be to feed non-medicated wherever possible.
Just trying to spread the word. :D If you wanna tell people they should feed non-medicated that's okay, I'm just tired of people saying that it will kill ducklings. :)

Bottom line, if all that is available is medicated, it is okay to feed to ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom