What To Feed Layers

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I am restarting my flock of free range this year and next year, so I've also decided to change feed etc.
I am getting 4 breeds altogether.
I am getting 10 hens and 1 rooster of each breed, and they will be free range.

This is the feeder, only about half of it, I used to fill it up with oats and twice a day put whole corn and layer feed on top. Covering about 1/4 an once in depth

I have a large feeder that's about 6 feet long, it has 3 compartments estimated at 2ft, 3ft and 1ft long each, the feeder is about 5 inches deep estimated.
I am thinking about mixing together whole corn and oats(I get them in trade for eggs from a neighbor) in the largest compartment.
In the next largest compartment I am thinking of putting layer feed.
And in the smallest grit and eggshells.
I am wondering what everyone else's opinions are on the feed etc.

Last edited:
I'd use something like flock raiser or layer feed to supplement what may be lacking in their diet from free range.
Chances are if you put corn, oats and layer feed side by side they'll eat all the corn and won't touch the layer feed or oats so I'd just go with 1 good quality feed.

They really don't need the corn, especially during summer months. I agree, opt for a good quality layer or all flock type of feed.

They really don't need the corn, especially during summer months. I agree, opt for a good quality layer or all flock type of feed.

I'd use something like flock raiser or layer feed to supplement what may be lacking in their diet from free range.
Chances are if you put corn, oats and layer feed side by side they'll eat all the corn and won't touch the layer feed or oats so I'd just go with 1 good quality feed.

I get the corn and oats for free so that's why I feed it also my birds choose layer feed over corn most of the time.

There would be nothing wrong with mixing the corn and oats you get right in with their feed and therefore stretch it out... between that and the free range they should do very well in my humble opinion. You may as well use the corn and oats you get in trade for the eggs... thats just being smart... hopefully the corn is cracked. I feed a layer mix but our birds get a bit of corn and black oil sunflower seeds in addition as well as fresh grass clippings . In the winter when i'm not mowing i substitute their veggie needs with Kale and frozen mixed veggies, table scraps etc. they also enjoy a head of cabbage hung on a wire.

You make due with what you have available. Just makes sense... as long as you have a good layer feed everything else is negotiable. Sounds to me like you're doing a great job of caring for your birds!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom