What to feed poults

jade0206

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
berks county, Pa
I will be getting my poults in a couple of days, what is the best to feed them?

I got Manna Pro Gamebird/showbird complete crumbles for starting/growing.

They will be pets.

Do i need to get medicated chick starter and add that to the food as well?

Do i need to add anything to the water?

I know you should add marbles to the water.

thanks

That would be a great feed for them. The medicated chick feed is really only intended for using on chickens. You don't need to add anything to the water but it wouldn't hurt. I recommend that you pick up a Vital Vitamin and Electrolyte pack at your local feed store. Put a quarter teaspoon in a gallon of water.

Jade0206.............DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GIVE YOUR POULTS MEDICATED FEED!!!!!!!!! IT WILL KILL THEM!!!!!

Medicated feed is for chickens ONLY. I found this out the hard way. Medicated feed killed 15 of my 20 poults before I talked to the folks at my local feed store. Turkeys are actually a gamebird and you want to give them a gamebird feed.

Give your poults a Starter/Grower feed for the first 8 weeks then feed them a Grower/Finisher until around 16 weeks. These are high in protien, which young birds need to grow and stay healthy. There is a product called "Flock Raiser" that is made by Purina. It's in a green bag. Your local Tractor Supply (TSC) store should have it. If they don't have it they can order it for you. It is for all poultry and your birds will love it. It's a little more expensive than regular chicken feed but it's well worth the few dollars more.

Marbles in the waterers is a good idea, but if you use quail waterers you wouldn't need the marbles. Quail waterers have a smaller trough and your poults couldn't drown in them. After a couple of weeks you can use the larger chick waterer.

Good luck with your new babies.

Back
Top Bottom