What to feed Serama chicks? Silkies....

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
I have 9 one month old Serama chicks. How long should i feed them chick starter for? They are not very big my birds. I find the grower is big pieces still.

I also have a second question I have 4 six month old silkie pulleys, one started laying, but I have been feeding them grower food with crushed oyster shells on the food. Should I keep doing that, or should I switch them to layer food?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
If the starter is unmedicated, they can eat it all their lives.
Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If they aren't all laying, keep them on grower. Offer the oyster shell separately from the feed so that the birds that don't need it aren't ingesting it.

If the starter is unmedicated, they can eat it all their lives.
Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If they aren't all laying, keep them on grower. Offer the oyster shell separately from the feed so that the birds that don't need it aren't ingesting it.

So, I went to the feed store and they didn't have unmedicated chick starter, so I bought unmedicated duckling starter, which is 22 percent protien, 2 percent more protien than the chick starter. Is it okay to feed them the duckling stater?

Thanks!

Last edited:
They'll be fine on the waterfowl starter. You could cut it with a little scratch mix to lower the protein content, or not. I used to feed gamefowl starter, and never had a problem with it (other than the price).
My Silkies get chick starter or flock raiser, depending on what's available, all their lives. And they get oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side for calcium.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom