What to put in nesting boxes??

Dustys Mom

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Keep in mind, I am a horsey person ... and know very little about chickens!!

We brought the chickens home a few days ago. The coop is bedded with shavings, fairly thickly to provide warmth.

We are just putting the nesting boxes in today and were wondering what is best to bed the boxes with: shavings or straw?! Does it make a difference as to laying?? So far, they haven't layed any eggs in the coop/shavings bedding - we keep checking! - but I think that has more to do, with the idea that they prefer to lay in the boxes.

Thanks,

-- Dustys Sister
Aka, Dustys' Moms daughter
wink.png

Use straw. It's easier to clean out, takes less to line the box effectively and if you have brown eggs layers that lay speckled eggs it protects the brown spots on the eggs from smearing.

I use shavings mine didn't want to use the boxes with straw in it. Give yours a choice and lst them choose. I also tried shreded paper and they wanted nothing to do with that either. Mind you if I gave them no other choice they would prpbably use the straw.

Last edited:
We use straw, but hubby and I are comtemplating what to put under the straw. The hens make their little round nests out of them and then some of them drop the egg from a distance and then they crack. Hubby had thought about some of those cheap rugs made from remenent pieces or even that foam cabinet and drawer liners. We haven't decided yet because we don't want to put something in there that they are going to try to peck and eat. We would hate the thought that we killed one of our chickens due to ignorance or poor forethought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom