1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to use for a chicken run COVER?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blondebarnbabe, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i used wire mesh for the sides of my run and just regular chicken wire for the top.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:x2

3. Hoofer

Hoofer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    We have regular chicken wire on the top of our run. We lock the chickens in the coop at night so it doesn't need to be coon-proof.

4. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    i use an old carpet that i have and where there is holes i used some shingles i know im cheap i am going to proabaly get somrthing else next year instead of a carpet

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    for the people that has covers that are flat.
    what do you do when it snows?
    thats a lot of weight.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Agree re: flat roof if it's solid (obviously a wire roof w/ 2x2 holes would permit snow to go through), and that is true for rain as well as snow, esp. for those who use tarps. I used to lay a tarp over half of my wire cover until the day it sagged, colllected a HUGE amount of water, and broke the wire (fortunately the chicks were in the coop when that happened!). So I got the pitched roof w/ tarp that I use now.

7. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I use a dog kennel as well, but I love your version of the cover. How do you have the pvc attached to the top of the kennel? I'm gonna revamp all 3 of mine!

8. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    [​IMG]
    This was our Call Duck Barn...now Silkie Barn. We Cover the run(to the left) with gray tarp.
    In Spring we will build a slant roof. Regards, Aria

9. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

"Gail

I use a dog kennel as well, but I love your version of the cover. How do you have the pvc attached to the top of the kennel? I'm gonna revamp all 3 of mine!"

We used brace rail clamps, found in the chain link section at our local Lowes. They're only $1.68 each (although I also bought bolts that were a bit longer, also found in the chain link section in packs of 10):

[​IMG]

Attach the clamps, slip in the 3/4" pipe, tighten the bolts. We placed the 3/4" PVC pipe at 3 foot lengths, then ran 36" wide hardware cloth over each and attached this to the pipe with zip ties.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps...

Gail

5 people like this.
  10. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Nice pictures thanks for sharing georgiagail [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by