What to use for a chicken run COVER?

We have regular chicken wire on the top of our run. We lock the chickens in the coop at night so it doesn't need to be coon-proof.

i use an old carpet that i have and where there is holes i used some shingles i know im cheap i am going to proabaly get somrthing else next year instead of a carpet

Agree re: flat roof if it's solid (obviously a wire roof w/ 2x2 holes would permit snow to go through), and that is true for rain as well as snow, esp. for those who use tarps. I used to lay a tarp over half of my wire cover until the day it sagged, colllected a HUGE amount of water, and broke the wire (fortunately the chicks were in the coop when that happened!). So I got the pitched roof w/ tarp that I use now.

Quote:
I use a dog kennel as well, but I love your version of the cover. How do you have the pvc attached to the top of the kennel? I'm gonna revamp all 3 of mine!

This was our Call Duck Barn...now Silkie Barn. We Cover the run(to the left) with gray tarp.
In Spring we will build a slant roof. Regards, Aria

"Gail

I use a dog kennel as well, but I love your version of the cover. How do you have the pvc attached to the top of the kennel? I'm gonna revamp all 3 of mine!"

We used brace rail clamps, found in the chain link section at our local Lowes. They're only $1.68 each (although I also bought bolts that were a bit longer, also found in the chain link section in packs of 10):

84140_img_0850.jpg

Attach the clamps, slip in the 3/4" pipe, tighten the bolts. We placed the 3/4" PVC pipe at 3 foot lengths, then ran 36" wide hardware cloth over each and attached this to the pipe with zip ties.

84140_img_0826.jpg

Hope this helps...

Gail

Back
Top Bottom