What to worm with during molt?

My very first wormer I ever used was wazine, then safeguard equine paste during a molt. My birds feathers regrew curled and ingrown toward their body.
I never had any problems using valbazen during molts. I stopped worming birds during molt anyway, just too much stress on them.
Currently I have 2 BR's that just started with a hard molt and I was able to worm them 10 days ago along with the others, lucky me lol.

There is a vet that says all wormers in the benzimidazole class can cause feather damage. Another vet said there aren't any studies about albendazole and feather damage because albendazole hasn't been used as much as fenbendazole.
The info can be so conflicting that it gives newer poultry owners headaches.

One more question, once wormed will you see more worms come out in their poo? For example, I know at least one has worms since I've seen it in roost droppings. Will I see more come out until their body is cleared of the overload?

One more question, once wormed will you see more worms come out in their poo? For example, I know at least one has worms since I've seen it in roost droppings. Will I see more come out until their body is cleared of the overload?
You might not see any since some are digested, and you might see some several days after treatment too.

Are you going to do he one day treatment or the five day treatment?

I know it won't be as accurate as the .23mL dosage recommended, but I was going with 1/2cc to 3/4cc. As I would have to guess my birds weights anyway to administer the .23mL/pound.
That will work quite well I think. When I want treat for all worms that's what I give for five days.

They'll definitely grow in, yep. I'm about to use Valbazen on my lot, and my cock hasn't finished his molt entirely yet. Honestly, I don't care if his feathers end up kind of ugly, he's not going anywhere.
Ok. That's good to hear.

You might not see any since some are digested, and you might see some several days after treatment too.

Are you going to do he one day treatment or the five day treatment?
My plan was to just shoot it in their mouths, but then it was freezing rain this morning and I didn't want to try catching them in it. So, I mixed it with water and added it to their feed. I have some that are leery if I try to offer them a treat from my hand. Then, the roo drops any treats offered by hand to get a hen to take it. So, none of those options were going to work. I only read about 3 days for mixing it with water and then in feed. Should I do it for 5?

Back
Top Bottom