What treat did your chickies get today?

Mine have had sunflower seeds this morning (out of their shell of course) dried mealworms in the afternoon (their absolute favourite) and tomatoes from the greenhouse

Lucky charms/milk, bacon, baked beans, lettuce-- (the leftover special), mixed into 2 big pans of their midday mash with a dash of yogurt for probiotics... I have to wonder about the the quality of chickens' taste buds but they gobble it all up....

Mine have had sunflower seeds this morning (out of their shell of course)  dried mealworms in the afternoon (their absolute favourite) and tomatoes from the greenhouse 
you do know that you can give them the sun flower seeds with shells , yep they can and do eat the shell.

My girls got goats milk, and tomatoes from the garden, a handful, of scratch

Ours got cooked pinto beans and spent grains from a homebrewing neighbor. Then after we processed tomatoes and other veggies for canning, they got the peelings. I was quite surprised...they didn't pay any attention at all to the peelings. But we left them in the pen so maybe today they'll scratch through them for goodies. We had some beets and onions left over so I chopped them a bit and surprisingly, they loved the onions but wouldn't do anything with the beets except play with them, LOL. No more onions, tho...I don't want "pre-seasoned" eggs ;)

Today, I'll cut some oat tops, comfrey, clover and whatever dandelions I can find...they're getting scarcer now...good for me but not so good for the girls...they love them!

We had some beets and onions left over so I chopped them a bit and surprisingly, they loved the onions but wouldn't do anything with the beets except play with them,

I am trying to remember the name of the type of beets that Laura Ingalls grew for her chickens to eat in winter. She said they loved them and I think they started with an "L." In later life she wrote articles about keeping chickens, etc.

Thanks Stumpy. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that they're all individuals! Most folks say theirs go crazy for strawberries; mine won't touch them. Lots of folks say theirs don't like oats and mine go crazy for them. So, I'm just muddling along...give them whatever I have and if they eat it, I continue to give it...if not...compost here it comes, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom