What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. The Proprietor

The Proprietor Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    east coast USA
    My girls had grapes, watermelon and leftover waffles (homemade, of course, LOL).[​IMG]

2. The Proprietor

The Proprietor Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    east coast USA
    Good luck with your beautyberry! I planted one last year and it's doing great this season. I love it!

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    My flock got to freerange on grass that is GREEN and growing after a hot dry summer of brown dead grass.. Thank you Isaac for busting the drought.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I cut up tomatoes from my garden, gave them dinner rolls to.And of course they ate grass and bugs. My kids catch them lots of hoppers to munch on so no loss for protein lol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. bcmama

bcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    My girls got a quarter of a cantaloupe, carrot tops (absolute favorite), a little cheese and half of a squash. There is also a large sunflower head in the run right now for picking at.

6. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

mine got shredded cheddar and cut up grapes tonight

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Jakoda, that sounds like wonderful treat.

My chickens' treat today was going into the fenced raised bed garden. It's about 14 X 20, I guess, and I strung bird netting over it and they enjoyed the fresh weeds, grass and bugs.

8. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I got out my big stainless steel bowl and walked around the yard, pulling dandelions, bindweed and thistles (they'll eat the fresh tender interiors) and snipping fresh clover, comfrey, oat tops and some lamium. They now have a big ole pile of goodies to scratch through and are thoroughly enjoying it! In a little bit they'll get some homemade yogurt...just letting it warm now to room temp since it's a bit chilly this morning. They're not spoiled...not at ALL! LOL

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Cleaning out cabinets and needed to get rid of some about-to-be-out-of-date oatmeal so I made it for them. I added two eggs before I put it on to cook. When done and cool, I topped it with some plain yogurt.

The gal's LOVED it! [​IMG]

10. milo1108

milo1108 Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought my chickens were spoiled. I give them a few left over pieces of fruit everyday that have spoiled, today they got peaches, a pear, some leftover parsley, and a whole ear of corn. I can't wait til my sprouts are done so I can start feeding them those. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by