What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Love the mac and cheese photo! Mine got scuppernongs. There was such a huge crop last year that we resorted to putting whole baskets of them int he freezer and never used them. They really like them.

OnceAroundTheBlock, have you tried Paula Deen's recipe for fried okra? The thing about okra is you've got to pick them before they get too tough.

2. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    ALL 11 of my delawares and my 1 Cornish X and 2 of my turkeys got to go outside! The others got some cherries, but they didn't get many, because one turkey tried to swallow a whole cherry.. Not good...

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Thy got cantaloupe seeds and 'guts', They had watermelon rinds yesterday.

4. Egg Lover

Egg Lover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    SW Lower Michigan
    Cold watermelon again today, it's hot outside.

5. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I didn't give them much in the way of treats today, but we did find a scorpion for them to eat. Maybe they will develop a taste for them and rid me of that nuisance!

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Scorpion..... yuck

Watermelon and pineapple, cooked rice and a leftover piece of fried chicken that got left in my car overnight. Oh and they tore apart a toad. [​IMG]

7. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I gave them oatmeal cookies that were just laying around the house. It was cute seeing my hen Moochie run around with a whole cookie in her beak.

8. Liath

Liath New Egg

Sep 2, 2012
    I cut down some of the higher blackberry vines to let the girls pick the last berries. This did make me realize WHY I've been seeing black poop around the yard lately... One less thing to worry about! [​IMG]

9. honeybunny

honeybunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Pieces of boiled egg, grapes, small bits of banana, and some slices of overripe strawberries. Some grass seeds, too, along with dandelions, all mixed up. For a little bit the hens were like "..... What is this?", but after some taste testing they all jumped in and gobbled it right up, even the chick and her mom got some.

10. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Watermelon, strawberries and lettuce

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by