What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. stokealini

stokealini Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Central NY
    Cranberries!

2. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Today was french fries. Man did they go nuts over those. I scattered them throughout the yard and they had so much fun "foraging" for them.

3. APDoxies

APDoxies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Olive Branch, IL
    I have given my girls & guys raw potato peelings before....but I've read recently that I shouldn't. Why?

I have mixed for their every day food right now: layer pellets, cracked corn, whole oats (from the horse feed section) & BOSS. I also throw some wild bird seed in there now & then.

They get leftover scraps, too. I get apples, bananas & carrots from the school I work at, so they have those almost daily. My chickens eat banana peels & all. Is that ok? Does it look like I'm doing anything wrong? I'm somewhat new to chickens & only want what is best for them. [​IMG]

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    The only issue with potato peels is generally if they're green under the peel. That green contains a toxin that can make them sick. If no green, they're fine. LOL, green or not, I don't bother...my finicky girls won't touch 'em :( Everything else sounds great!

5. ernndbrtt

ernndbrtt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Ours get mixed vegetables, corn green beans and carrots mixed with plain cooked brown rice and mozzarella cheese in a pan and oats and laying pellets scattered on the ground every morning. In the evenings when I change out their water they get 2-3 pieces of string cheese. They follow me around the run while I'm changing the water until I sit down to give them the string cheese. It's like a chicken feeding frenzy, it's really quite comical to see how much they voraciously attack the cheese in my hand. Our chicks are spoiled rotten ;))

6. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    A pot of rice and last nights table scraps...mix veggies and cubed potatoes...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    this morning they got bread/oatmeal mash with sunflower seeds- one of their favorites!

8. ChickenMad11

ChickenMad11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    Cool! My chickens got sweetcorn and leftover pizza!

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Mine won't touch banana peels or pumpkins. Last week they had a large pan of Thanksgiving leftovers. Today I will give them some corn on the cob.

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    They didn't get anything this morning- I very nearly didn't get away with my head!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by