What treat did your chickies get today?

I have seen lots of people mention "chickens can eat whatever we eat" .. I am grateful that the reverse is not the same .. I do not want to be eating some of the stuff chickens eat
sickbyc.gif

LuLu scored herself a lizard .. apparently it was yummy! I will take her word for that
wink.png
Did she lick her lips?
gig.gif

Today, grass, clover, dandelion, dock, plantain and chickweed.

lol .. technically No
wink.png
But she sure did strut around doing the 'nah, nah, nah, nah, nah' dance; taunting her flock mates.

Chicken chase!
Not a treat, but sort of funny/cute in a way. I have an "outer" area in the run that has no roof so it get rained on etc., well we are blessed with tons of night crawlers and other earthworms. I clean out this section and then turn the dirt with a pitchfork so they can hunt for grubs, etc. Well my cockerel supervises the turning of the earth-he stands right beside me talking the whole time while the girls watch. I pick a huge juicy night crawler out and offer it to him, he lets out a warning cackle and herds the girls into the coop!
th.gif
Apparently he thinks I am trying to poison him or something? Silly boy.

Chicken chase!
Not a treat, but sort of funny/cute in a way. I have an "outer" area in the run that has no roof so it get rained on etc., well we are blessed with tons of night crawlers and other earthworms. I clean out this section and then turn the dirt with a pitchfork so they can hunt for grubs, etc. Well my cockerel supervises the turning of the earth-he stands right beside me talking the whole time while the girls watch. I pick a huge juicy night crawler out and offer it to him, he lets out a warning cackle and herds the girls into the coop!
th.gif
Apparently he thinks I am trying to poison him or something? Silly boy.

lol

Yeah, I have a gal who gets very excited whenever I pick up the pitchfork to the point that if I am not very very careful I am going to stick her with it one day .. she insists on being right on the spot
roll.png

Hmm...today they will get an apple. They usually get one most days in the afternoon. I put a bolt through it and hang it in the run. They peck it back and forth "bobbin' & weaving" like boxers. I have one girl that has learned to "catch it" and she will tear off big chunks and run with it. They play together pretty well, so usually everyone get some, even the lowest girls. I have tried cabbage, but they don't like it
idunno.gif
but just about anything else you can hang they eat with gusto.

I have noticed that my group have distinct differences in taste. My big girls love fruit, tomatoes, and anything sweet. My younger ones prefer tart foods. And nobody really likes grape nuts. Oatmeal is everyone's favorite so I usually mix in raisins and a veggie. Big girls eat first and then while I am feeding little ones my son's favorite hen uses my shoe to clean her beak....

I have one hen who will follow me around until I give them some. Needless to say, right now they are getting scratch grains and she ain't a happy camper

Back
Top Bottom