What treat did your chickies get today?

We are farmers and my chickens, guineas & ducks get some type of fresh produce everyday.. Today was fresh collard, turnip and mustard greens.. Also some for the goats. They all love the greens.. What ever the farm is growing is what they get. About once a week I also give them a good scoop of rabbit pellet food.. They go wild for the alfalfa pellets & also for any of the wild bird seed.

Larkie

Last edited:
Welcome Larkie!!
welcome-byc.gif

Our girls got their first flock block today! we made them yesterday with oatmeal, scratch, raisins, cranberries, bananas and apples and they loved it! Trying to find some warm treats to make for them to have during the winter months. Love to spoil our girls! :)

I have some of the flock block/cakes.. whatever, lol in the oven as I type.. Smelling good..Full of ww flour, corn meal, every kind of seed there is, corn, scratch, fruits, oats and canned pumpkin and some other things..

Larkie

I have some of the flock block/cakes.. whatever, lol in the oven as I type.. Smelling good..Full of ww flour, corn meal, every kind of seed there is, corn, scratch, fruits, oats and canned pumpkin and some other things..

Larkie

I would love to make one of these, can you or someone else that does these post a couple recipe options and how to do it? Thanks!!

here is a recipe for the flock block/cakes that i just made yesterday...

2 cups of oatmeal (+amount of water needed to cook, use water not milk)
and i probably used a couple handfuls of scratch
1 banana
1 apple
handful of dried cranberries
handful of raisins
3 slices of bread broken into pieces (no crust)

1. Cook the two cups of oatmeal in a big bowl, i think i used about three cups of water for this because it made it a little bit thicker which helped keep the cakes together also
2. mix your scratch, and whatever else you want to add to the mixture
3. Combine everything with the oatmeal until it is mixed well.m
4. I put them into pans that you would use to make banana bread, they were just the aluminum foil ones you can just throw away after.
5. Then cook them at 300 degrees and cook for about an hour or until it is as hard as you would like it to be.

This made about 4 1/2 loaves of the cakes and they turned out pretty good. The girls loved them whenever we gave one to them this morning.

Make sure the pans are greased well (i used crisco) so that way they can just pop right out of the pans

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom